Masticated Gear

luwayo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That doesn't look like my rental corolla. The blighters stripped off the windshield wiper blades, weather stripping, then unscrewed (!) the antenna. Of course they left all the bits next to the car. hellno3d.gif

A short from the Arthur's Pass guide:

THE KEA & YOU

Most New Zealand climbers need not be told about the antics of Kea, for many stories have attained legendary status. The Kea (Nestor notabilis) is endangered and unique, being the only Alpine Parrot in the world.

The Kea is also very conspicuous in the skies and about the crags of Arthur’s Pass. The rule simply put is "DON’T FEED THE KEA;" this includes not tossing your food scraps about. Given a few kilojoules of human food they are quite capable of systematically dismantling your hut or tent, chopping your rope into useful 2m lengths, flying off with Koflach inners and basically being downright annoying. If you do become victim to the legend it WILL be your fault. Kea are totally protected and it is a criminal offence to harm them!

Getting back on-topic...

My dog chewed up a $100-pair of glacier glasses. frown.gif

I tried to glue 'em back together, but, nah, it didn't really work.

And then, of course, there's my down sleeping bag that still smells like cat urine--from my ex's cat, over 6 years ago. madgo_ron.gif But it's sort of a homey smell, in a weird sort of way.

And then, of course, there's my down sleeping bag that still smells like cat urine--from my ex's cat, over 6 years ago. madgo_ron.gif But it's sort of a homey smell, in a weird sort of way.

That just doesn't come out no matter what. After getting back from a one week trip, our cat showed its displeasure for us being gone that long by peeing on the lumbar padding of my pack. Soaked in real good. Didn't even notice it until the next outing when the body heat and sweat started working its way into the padding and "activated" the wonderful stench. I was seriously concerned about what this aroma might attract out in the woods.

After getting back home, I tried everything to get the darned smell out - even those "get rid of cat urine" products. Nope. Only thing that worked, kinda, was a baking soda paste worked into that padding... over and over again... and rinsed clean. Although it's been something like 10 years, I can still get a waft of it from time to time. Luckily, it's not my main pack anymore.

Absolutely. There's nothing more intransigent than cat pee.

This reminds me of my very first alpine climb, Frostbite Ridge on Glacier. One of the more senior fellows on the climb left his pack out at his house overnight, and his cat peed on it. It was so ripe, you had to walk a good 50 feet or more behind him. Hilarious, but sick. I still remember that smell. And losing two toenails on the trek out.

I was changing in the outhouse on the way back from Mt. aspiring and suddenly heard all this pounding and screaching. I thought my buddy was messing with me, but it was those stupid keas. I'm heading over Arthur's pass on Friday after a stopover at Castle Hill. I'll tell you all how Kea tastes when i get back....

4427Aspiring_126.jpg