Weak-Ass One Liner Accumulation Thread.

JayB

It would be interesting to pass that conclusion by Malcolm, John, and a few of the rocket scientists like RGold over in the RC thread. I suspect their conlusion is that it doesn't load the three anchor points in a 33/33/33, but rather a 25/50/25 distribution. Hard to imagine a conclusion that it isn't really equalizing at all or just a little...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty interesting. Looks like I'll probably end up wading through the thread after all....

"Funny this should come along just now. I'm just finishing redoing the anchor books into one big anchor building omnibus. We're basically done --all that's left is a bit of editing, and incorporating a slew of drop tests we did with Sterling Ropes (conducted by America's leading drop/test dude, Jim Ewing, with statistical analysis by trad master Dr. Larry Hamilton and climber/fitness model/criminology professor, the esteemd "Crimpgirl," Dr. Callie Rennisson).

The tests were to determine, once and for all, which system was better at load sharing when sustaining a dynamic fall (Factor 1 for our testing)--the Cordelette, or the Sliding X. Both rigging systems were tested when rigged to vertical and horizontally oriented anchor points. In the vertical configuration--as you find in a crack--the rigging systems have unequal sized legs; in the horizontal configured anchor (as found, for instance, with bolts placed side to side on top of a sport climb), the legs are as close to equal as they could be tied.

Moreover, each set up was tested with several diameters of high tensile strength cord and webbing (Dyneema, Technora, Spectra, et al), as well as with old style nylon cord and webbing.

It is still too early to release the results, but I can say right now that there is a significant difference in load sharing performance between the two systems, and much that has been written about the cordelette's equalizing capacities is strictly untrue.

More later. I'm just eyeballing the graphs I got from Jim, Larry and Crimpy. At least now we finally know what's up with these systems, and that's a real good thing.

JL "

So Joseph - is this more or less the final configuration of the "equalette" that JL was talking about? To rig this thing you'd basically start with a standard cordalette, tie a couple of overhand knots near the middlen with a 1-3 foot gap between them for the sliding portion of the anchor, then take the remaining loop on each side of the knot and clove hitch the loop to one or two pieces? If I'm reading this right it doesn't seem like this would take any longer to rig up than a standard cordalette, and would have some significant advantages. I especially like the clove attachments to the anchor points as it seems like the slippage in the cloves could really help dissipate max loads.

6299DuoGlide.JPG

I suspect their conlusion is that it doesn't load the three anchor points in a 33/33/33, but rather a 25/50/25 distribution. Hard to imagine a conclusion that it isn't really equalizing at all or just a little...

I believe "just a little" was their conclusion. It is nice to have such easy access to individuals like Long who have put so much time into this. But to be honest, I found his anchor book (admittedly an old version) to be overly complicated, perhaps causing new climbers to be overly focused on anchor building and less focused on equally important safety issues.

It is nice to see such openness to change however, and he seems like a great guy with obviously a ton of practical experience.

Lest this thread turn into a copy of the RC.com link referenced.

I for one am waiting on the day when harnesses come with airbags and heads up route displays. Belayers should also be equipped with autobelays so they don't need to actually touch the rope.

As long as we just bolt all the rock sketchy placments are not a concern. While we are at it replace em all with 3/4 stainless and we won't even need to equalize.

Excellent. Thanks for that contribution.

What I actually wanted was a forum for people to recycle weak-ass one-liners, and it's clear that the best way to do that is to at least appear to ask a real question. The "Should I retire this cam?"------> "Yes send all of your cams to me for immediate demolition, har, har" dynamic, while classic, was clearly showing its age. Sadly, this attempt at weak-ass one liner solicitation hasn't yielded much in the way of new material yet, but I have high hopes.

So Joseph - is this more or less the final configuration of the "equalette" that JL was talking about? To rig this thing you'd basically start with a standard cordalette, tie a couple of overhand knots near the middlen with a 1-3 foot gap between them for the sliding portion of the anchor, then take the remaining loop on each side of the knot and clove hitch the loop to one or two pieces? If I'm reading this right it doesn't seem like this would take any longer to rig up than a standard cordalette, and would have some significant advantages. I especially like the clove attachments to the anchor points as it seems like the slippage in the cloves could really help dissipate max loads.

6299DuoGlide.JPG

I just wanted to point out something, in case it isn't obvious to everyone. This method of using a cordellette has the advantage that since the legs are single, rather than double, you have more cord available to incorporate more than the usual three pieces into the anchor. Geek_em8.gif

6299DuoGlide.JPG

I just wanted to point out something, in case it isn't obvious to everyone. This method of using a cordellette has the advantage that since the legs are single, rather than double, you have more cord available to incorporate more than the usual three pieces into the anchor. Geek_em8.gif

Brian, Brian, Brian - let's keep the on-topic out of this thread, lest it discourage others from contributing any more of the hillarious and useful one-liners.