Broken Back

Yeah the worst part about this whole incident is the very, very bad timing. Why of all times do I break my back when that damn cowboy movie came out. It took even my most mentally challenged friend (RuMR) evils3d.gif about a nano second to crack that joke.

Right now I've progressed to the Humor stage of the following equation: Time + Tragedy = Humor. Enough time has elapsed I find myself even making fun of my situation. It wasn't so last week trust me.

I'll also state this right now. I might work for a real conservative company, (make you wear ties, causal days is no tie) but they have stepped up to bat. I might have $300-$400 out of pocket on medical. I'm covered till 6-3-06 for full pay short term disability. They are ordering the best chair on the face of the planet for me right now and my job is secure till I can come back. They even offered to allow me 1/2 days for as long as I want. There is a recovery factor knowing things are taken care of and I have to say PACCAR (I work for Kenworth) rules... If I had lost my job or didn’t have health care I don’t know how messed up my mental status might be at this moment.

On a sad note a good friend at work (the one who recommended the tattoo artist to me) was real close to the party house where all the murders happened. He knows all the roommates there by first name basis and would have been there that night had he not been down with the flu. Another friend had fixed Jeremy’s (the first guy to get shot) GF’s VW several times. That kinda struck it home, the're people right now far worse off then I.

So, when is the right timing to brake one's back? wink.gif

Sorry to hear about your friend, but you might want to resist the temptation to find comfort in comparing your situation to someone who is "worse off" than you. Sounds to me like you are doing great. But very sorry to hear about the trauma your friend is now going through--my respects.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm feeling better every day. I bumped it up a notch and hiked Mount Si with a friend. I was able to slowly jog about 1/4 of the way down. For the first time I felt I can recover from this.

Cold really effects the back where the implants are. I was wonder if they make a specail undershirt with the back half packed with down? cantfocus.gif Sure would help me out. I was smart this time and put on the down jacket before I got real cold, kept the bit down a bite. I think my winter mountaineering days are over...

Down to only 400mg vitamin I a day. Kicking the Vicoden habit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back at work now. Today is my 8 week mark.

I've started to jog again. Not real fast but I can tolerate the motion. I found a great therapeutic pool in Bellevue at their aquatic center. The pool is kept at over 90F so it feels real good on the back. At certain times they close it for people like me to rehab without the kids around. I’ve done Mount Si more then a few times now, plus little Si and Tiger. I’m able to sleep much better. Cold still effects me.

Last weekend I made my sons boot camp graduation, flew to Fort Benning to visit him. Flying wasn’t too bad. I’m doing upper body workouts with free weights. It feels good but I have to watch myself. I see the doctor again in two days. Looking forward to showing off what I can do. I still have no feeling in the lower back, feels real weird. However, with the swelling down I can now feel the bolt heads on my implants. This is the weirdest feeling in the world. I guess I can get used to it. The scar is healing up real nice.

I haven’t taken any drugs for over a week. It makes me feel great. I don’t even need the Motrin any more. Sometimes the back cramps up but I can deal with that now.

I hope to see you all in a couple of months at the crags or in Vertical World driving Rudy and J_Dog crazy. In the mean time give them a hard time for me during my forced absence.

As you all know, I broke my back skiing on March 6th, 2006. I've attached the latest X-ray of my back just taken yesterday. My recovery has been going very well. I owe much of my rapid recovery to a great group of family and friends who went out of their way to help me and partly by setting goals for myself. One of my current goals is to run the Beat the Bridge 8K. Don’t fret, yesterday my surgeon cleared me to run the 8K as long as I don’t break his rules. I now listen and follow any doctor’s rules to the letter; nothing like a broken back to get you to fly right laugh.gif.

I plan on trying to finish the race without walking, but I’m not going to push it if I can’t. I’m not going to set a record, but I will finish and I will finish with pride. The official name of the race is “Beat the Bridge to Beat Diabetes” run on Sunday, May 21. The event benefits the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and its mission to find a cure for diabetes and end its often deadly complications. A good friend of mine is a type I diabetic. I’ve climbed with him and know first hand the daily challenges he has to overcome.

I’m very motivated to reach my goal, and your contributions would motivate me even more so I need your support! Your contribution will help uncover the clues to finding the cure through the support of research and education about research. Out of every $1.00 donated, $0.85 goes directly to research.

You can make a donation for me online by simply clicking on this link:

DONATE TO JDRF IN ROY'S NAME

Whatever you can give will help! I truly appreciate your support.

Thanks, Roy Grossinger

5a1a55dd1bb4a_569954-001sChestX-RayFrontview05-03-06.thumb.jpg.23cb54cd3acf293bc4bf82e286b12630.jpg

Yeah Rumr thats totally wicked. The dude must have like NO pain receptors.

I loved the last comment:

The break was all right at first. It's getting awfully old now, but I've been focusing on what needs to be done to get better. Projecting and whining don't do me any good. A lot of people in the world have it exponentially worse. I'll be fine and return much stronger than before - I can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm well on my way to a full recovery. I finished the 8k today without a single break. I don't know what my time was as that was the last thing on my mind as I entered Husky Statium. I set a two goads:

1) Bea the bridge, 2mile in 20 min.

2) Finish without taking a break

The first I made with about 4 minutes to spare. The second was a bit harder. It was hot today. I was real sore after this and took somes meds when I got home, passed out for a few hours. bigdrink.gif

Feel much better now. My next test is to head up Rainier with Rumr. I'd love to smoke that punter on the hike in. God knows he hates alpine aproaches. fruit.gif

Well I'm well on my way to a full recovery. I finished the 8k today without a single break. I don't know what my time was as that was the last thing on my mind as I entered Husky Statium. I set a two goads:

1) Bea the bridge, 2mile in 20 min.

2) Finish without taking a break

The first I made with about 4 minutes to spare. The second was a bit harder. It was hot today. I was real sore after this and took somes meds when I got home, passed out for a few hours. bigdrink.gif

Feel much better now. My next test is to head up Rainier with Rumr. I'd love to smoke that punter on the hike in. God knows he hates alpine aproaches. fruit.gif

What's a goad? Did they rename the bridge to Bea?

Your back gonna be up to hauling all the weight too?? Cuz that's the only way i'm going up that pile of dung! the_finger.gif

I told you I took some med's. They're pretty powerful. you should remember my delusional episodes you spy you..... tongue.gif

I might short rope you the last 1,000 feet because thats better then putting up with your whinning, but I'm not hauling any of your gear. It's time I stop babying you... boxing_smiley.gif

Medical costs. Well a few people were asking me what the medical bills have added up to.

So far dirredt billing is over $92,000. I get bills every other day still. The insurance so far has gotten about $28K in discounts, I'm out of pocket about $750, including the meds I buy over the counter.

My company has short term disability so I received 100% pay while at home for seven weeks. Add that in and you can call me $100K man. cheeburga_ron.gif

Glad I had insurance. For many years I was self employed and a single dad. Glad nothing happened those years. Not like I took it easy or anything.

Yeah Rumr thats totally wicked. The dude must have like NO pain receptors.

I loved the last comment:

The break was all right at first. It's getting awfully old now, but I've been focusing on what needs to be done to get better. Projecting and whining don't do me any good. A lot of people in the world have it exponentially worse. I'll be fine and return much stronger than before - I can't wait.

Did you see the pic of Kelly's xray? Its on the front page of gunks.com down a little bit...apparently, it was like that on great trango. BTW, he was two time NCAA feather or welter weight boxing champ. He has no pain receptors.

Glad to hear the recovery is going well...

• 3 weeks later...

I got the results back from the Beat the Bridge, I ran a 8:37 pace. Way faster then any of my training runs.

Yesterday J-Dog and I hiked up to Lake Vivian, right below Prussic Peak from the Snow Creek trailhead. Good day trip for me. Next month I find out if the doc will let me start upper body workouts. If so I might head back to VW and do low height traversing on the boulder walls.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was a big first. Rumr called me when I was heading down from McClendan's Butte and said to meet him at Exit 38.

I got to tope rope two pitches next to the bridge casement. Not a big deal since his 6yr old kid did the route. But it is still my frist rock climbing since I broke the back.

WAY COOL...... Hope my doc doesn't kill me when I tell him next week.

hey man,

glad you're back in action! things sound positive, and i'm impressed with your recovery. i don't read this board extensively, so i missed this thread that was somewhat concurrent with my now embarrassing, snivelling, self-pity over missing one lousy weekend of climbing. good on you mate!