Jtree guide?

I have the priveledge of heading to joshua tree for a while, and wanted to know a good book for the place. I am a moderate trad leader and moderate climber. I'll also be there for a spot of hiking and was wondering if there were any climbing guides which had a short hiking/trails section in them.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the town of Joshua Tree there are two climbing shops on opposite sides of the road to the entrance. I bought a great hiking guide for my parents who live in the area at the north one. I have Vogel's guide which covers a lot of ground but is very minimal on route info. Theres also a guide to 60 moderate classics out that has an amazing amount of beta on those 60 climbs. I'm sure you'll find them both at either store.

I'll also be there for a spot of hiking and was wondering if there were any climbing guides which had a short hiking/trails section in them.

You really don’t need much info to hike at JT - just scan the desert for something that looks interesting and start walking! Wonderland of Rocks is a huge matrix of domes and boulders, criss-crossed by sandy washes - a great place to explore. If you want to gain some elevation, Queen Mountain is cool. Both have tons of climbing, if you want to pack your gear. The Vogel guides have good overview maps that will help you find your way around. wave.gif

• 3 weeks later...

just figured I'd put some closure to this thread. JTree was Awesome! I was initially unimpressed by some 5.6 sport the first day but then we got onto the Hemmingway wall, Colorado Crack, The Gem, Thin wall, and some 5.6 and a 5.8 in the Belle CG. I have to go back! The place was crowded though (spring break I guess). Two thumbs up.