Grade conversions... why so much dispute?

Blake

I'm not trying to say that grades are the important part about climbing, but why is there so much dispute in determining what Aussie/NZ grade = what North American grade = European, etc.

I guess its all subjective and whatnot, but for example I've seen charts listing Aussie '20' as everything from 5.10b to 5.11a.

seems kinda strange...

http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/GradeConversion.htm

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/rankingguide.php

http://www.catsclimbingshop.com/ctable.html

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the AAC

Grading_chart.jpg

NZ is really nice, going to try Mt. Aspiring soon (I hope) I've put a few pics up in the 'everywhere else' forum.

I honestly haven't lead enough 5.10 routes in the states to know how accurate teh grades are, but I'm leading 20 Aussie.

4427Beach_031.jpg

4427Beach_005.jpg

Cheers!

I honestly haven't lead enough 5.10 routes in the states to know how accurate teh grades are, but I'm leading 20 Aussie.

maybe it's the lembas bread?

I did find this one little ring in my cracker jack box on the flight over. It's precious.....

well, say you were a kiwi and came to washington and were trying to figure out how the YDS converts to Ewbank grades. So you climb two routes rated "10a", which you think should both be 19's after conversion. But one of them is Angel Crack which feels more like a 20 to you and the other one is a 10-bolt, 50 foot route at Exit 38 that feels more like a 17 or 18 than a 19. So you'd be just as confused.

well, say you were a kiwi and came to washington and were trying to figure out how the YDS converts to Ewbank grades. So you climb two routes rated "10a", which you think should both be 19's after conversion. But one of them is Angel Crack which feels more like a 20 to you and the other one is a 10-bolt, 50 foot route at Exit 38 that feels more like a 17 or 18 than a 19. So you'd be just as confused.

So, then, what's the point of climbing ANYTHING if you can't convert the grades accurately?

So, then, what's the point of climbing ANYTHING if you can't convert the grades accurately?

um maybe because climbing is fun and grades are for wankers? the_finger.gif