Spire Rock? Online photo of Routes?

Stefan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, spire has gained a dubious rep. I learned here and in it's heyday it was pretty darned fun, but now all the trailer park kids hang out and desecrate the stone. All I have to say is White people are stupid.

Well, it is in fucking Spanaway, so what can you expect, really?

I stopped buy a few weeks ago when I was in the area on business after not climbing there for years. The place does have a tradition that goes way back and in its heyday it had nearly as many (and as strong) of climbers as the UW rock did at the time?

Sadly, I noticed some climbers had written some graffiti with paint to mark bouldering. That is something I have never seen before.

If you live in Pierce county it will definitely give your footwork the sensation of climbing on slicker texture (as featured in many WA areas) a feel that you can't tune up for the spring season at a gym.- I also noticed that the huge fir tree on the south blew over in the latest windstorm, giving spire a longer season and quicker drying time- something that always plauged it. If I lived in pierce county I'd climb at the place.-just my two cents.

I helped build Spire Rock in 1973-1974. I was military Coprs of Engingeers at the time at Ft. Lewis and arranged for some of the larger slabs of granite from a donating quarry to be shipped and lifted into place. Being an avid young climber myself, I spent many days "creaqting" the perfect crack or slab. My most radical memory was of the rotating chalk stone mounted on a truck axle in a chimney at the south end. Is it still there? I never had a chance to use the rock after it was built since (in typical militaty fashion) I had moved on. But this is the first that I've ever heard that it was eventually a success. Too bad its fallen on hard times.