Alpental Ice (still in)

scot'teryx

lucky bastards!!!!!. Looks like grade 4+ to me although it might have a seriousness rateing given the fact that its spring and the ice probably isnt all that solid. What were the temps during your trip? Was there any water running? Those Pics are pretty sweet. [Moon]tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4+? No shit?There was alot of slush and crap on it, and belaying made for a nasty slush fall on the head. If the ice was more solid w/o the junk it would have been alot easier. No water running down the route we did though, but constant flow off to the right.

I really hope to hit it later this week early in the morning though. I hear it is going to get much colder at night with the high pressure sytem moving in.

Matt Truitt and I climbed that flow earlier that same day. We were there right after the lifts opened in the morning and stopped around 1 pm, a little after the sun came around to hit it. We spent the rest of the day skiing the upper lift and never saw you guys.

I copied your picture and drew our line in blue on it. Hope you don't mind smile.gif" border="0 I guessed WI 3, maybe 3+ except that it is easier now because it's basically been kicked to death. There is a staircase all the way up, one can just hook with the tools.

alpental.jpg

I'm not really sure whether the thing is still in for leading, unless you can solo it.

The two chandeliers on the right (marked with red ellipses) were dripping rivers all day, made us nervous.

The pillar (third ellipse, closest to blue line) looked better than the chandeliers but I still didn't want to put anything (screw or tool) into it. There is a big space behind it and it didn't seem to be very well attached at the top.

Leading the rest on screws might be a questionable idea, the ice is very soft and screws can also melt out.

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: fleblebleb ]

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: fleblebleb ]

Went up on Saturday afternoon, no one else there. I have never walked up at a chair lift line before, but we got on the quad and were at the ice in minutes. Since Sergio had seen someone climbing it on Friday, we had a route already setup, and a TR ready to go pretty quickly.

cc-post1.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this ice is rated? I assume it is one of the easiest routes around?

Sergio hit the first line, and revealed to us that this late on the afternoon (330pm) made it kind of tough with all the crap on the route

cc-post2.jpg

We closed down the ski area and got out of there almost as the sun set. Nice day up there though. How long with the ice remain is the question?

cc-post3.jpg

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: scot'teryx ]

quote:

Originally posted by fleblebleb:[QB]The two chandeliers on the right (marked with red ellipses) were dripping rivers all day, made us nervous.

The pillar (third ellipse, closest to blue line) looked better than the chandeliers but I still didn't want to put anything (screw or tool) into it. There is a big space behind it and it didn't seem to be very well attached at the top.

Leading the rest on screws might be a questionable idea, the ice is very soft and screws can also melt out.QB]

Those chandeliers did look freaky, and were dripping constantlyI only noticed one spot about halfway up our route that seemed like it was real thin.

How long do you think it will be safe to climb there in the early morning?

Went back to route today in the morning and sent the route a few times each with some other friends, and my wife even got halfway up smile.gif" border="0

Skied the rest of the day in the sun and had to share the mountain with about a dozen other skiers. Life is good, but I really need to get a damn job [chubit]

scot'teryx,Maybe you can help me with this, as you've seem to have it all figgered out...

How do I get to ski and ice climb, and take my wife, and not have to work? Can you write a book on that? All of us would buy it, i'm sure, grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Seriously, best of luck in your search. I've been there a couple times myself, but never had the $$ to play while I was looking. Life sucks that way sometimes.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: sobo ]

quote:

Originally posted by highclimb:
went skiin up there last weekend

looks like someone brought a AK-47 up there and fucking unloaded a hand full of clips on it....or i could have just said it is very picked out.

also it was meltin/drippin wet

Aidan
tongue.gif" border="0

Hey! Watch your mouth, young man!