Bouldering on the east side

jvesquire

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granite in the Dry-Shitties? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif Surely you jest, Kurt. Those boulders are in Renton, near a school... smirk.gif

jvesquire: The Oklahoma Dustbowl of Washington is frought with nothing but friable, chossy basalt, period. If that's your cup o' tea, then bust a law and go pebble wrestling at Two Sisters on the Columbia River, on SR 730 just west of the Wallula Gap. Now, be aware that some old survivalist asshole (adjacent property owner) got his panties in a twist about 5 years ago and convinced the spineless Walla Walla County Commissioners to close the place to climbing. However, I bet you could hop the fence at the parking lot and no one would be the wiser (did I just suggest breaking the law? hellno3d.gif ). They still allow hiking in the area along the few trails, but I would think that if you were discreet, and packed all your (obvious) boulder gear out of sight in a pack on your approach and departure, you'd come off looking like a (legal) hiker in the area. My $0.02

Photo of Two Sisters from Kevin Pogue's website:

twosisters.jpg

unfair.jpg

Otherwise, go climbing at Spring Mountain, Vantage, or Tieton (all three are better basalt and/or andesite). And as wazzu said, Banks is the closest place for granite bouldering, and there's a few longer lines there as well, and in Northup Canyon across the highway from Steamboat Rock and up the dirt road a short piece. You couldn't miss it even if you tried.

Here's a link to Kevin Pogue's climbing website that should help you get oriented to nearby climbing areas. Click the top link for the map, and then select the area from the list below the map that pops up. Clicking on the numbers on the map doesn't work.

PM me if you're interested in doing longer routes, but know that I'm not around as much as I used to be (new kid). Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips. Sobo, I'm not in the area just yet (March 1) but will PM you when I get settled in.

I've actually been to Twin Sisters when I was a kid and did some noodling around, before it was closed up. Being a laywer myself, it probably doesn't behove me to the local bar to get arrested the first week I begin practicing.

Thx!

I heard mention of some old granite boulders (from the missoula floods) .

There are some granite boulders in eastern wa as a result of the ice age floods, glacial erratics that were carried downstream from Montana. Some are quite big up near highway 2 by Wilbur. I remember seeing some south of the Potholes reservoir, in the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge. Just head for Othello and the drumhiler channel.

WAZZU-- I checked out the Kevin Poque site you mentioned and was suprized to see Granite Point. Unfortunately the Marty Bland link did't work so I can't see what's going on now days. In the OLD DAYS Granite Point was much larger and a great place to learn cracks, faces and slabs...even a few short leads. Classics like Skin Graft Crack all were lost when the dam was built. I'd sell my soul to have Granite Point near the Tri Cities today.

The other side of this blob was a route known as the Apron Direct, about 50 feet of slabs followed by 50 feet of face. I took my first 35 ft leader fall on that route onto a single piece of protection called a "JAM NUT" purchased from REI (from the UK)in 1970 in the interest of "clean climbing" promoted by Y. Choinard. Scared the Sh*t out of my partner. It had an impact on my thinking,(not to mention a few beers with the crew)and the attitude of the WAZZU Alpine Club at that time toward using what now has become the standard. Those were great times!

Edited by still_climbin