Squamish Climbing?

motomagik

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can climb slabs at Burgers and Fries or Neat & Cool within 1 hour of the rain stopping, but it is most definitely NOT worth it to road trip to Squamish from washington in order to climb at B&F or N&C. It's only marginally worthwhile to even roadtrip to Squamish from Vancouver to climb at those two crags in February.

Last time I climbed in Squamish was in February of 1993. Both days we were there it was cloudy and we felt a few drops of rain. We climbed Sunblessed (the only wet spot was the to of the last pitch) and a bunch of routes in the Bluffs. The only one I can remember was Penny Lane and TR’ing Crime. We became hopelessly lost trying to find Sunblessed on day one so we escaped to the Bluffs and had no problem finding routes. I’ve been rained out at Squamish more than once in the summer. If the weather holds I would say Squamish could be fun.

...that is one hell of a reversile 60% chance to pure sun..hmm someones on the rock over there wave.gif

Time for the annual disclaimer/reminder: from now until sometime in mid- to late-June, the Wednesday forecast for Squamish will be calling for rain on the weekend. This will be the case almost every week for the next four months. On occasion, the forecast of rain will prove to be accurate. Most weeks, it will prove to be wrong or at least overstated (80% chance of thunderstorms manifests itself as a brief shower up on the Tantalus Range late Saturday afternoon). This is a predictable pattern that has been observed for several years running now. The actual, accurate weekend forecast for Squamish will not be posted until some time Friday, or even early Saturday, if ever. Any forecast posted earlier than Friday should be viewed with grave suspiscion. By late June or early July, the mid-week forecast will become more reliable, but until then take it with a large grain of salt.

That is all - carry on.