LEAVENWORTHLESS!!!!

Dru

Ahhhh... it was going to rain all weekend in SW BC allegedly. so a bunch of us canadians decided to go to Leavenworth eh? 2 hours to go cross border frown.gif so I left Chilliwack at5:30 and didnt get to 8-mile till 1:30 AM. frown.gif

Sat AM we decide to go to Prussik Peak. Buy our dumb parking pa$$e$ and head up Snow Creek trail figuring if ranger stops us and asks why we have thermarests and overnight packs and day use permits we will tell him we are meeting Capt. Caveman at the peak and that he has the overnight permit... as this would be hard to disprove.

Anyways hike up that fucking trail for hours and eventually come to Nada Lake. wait an HOUR for my partner to catch up -she has sore feet- sit around and ponder - she wants to bail. so we hike all the way back down that stupid trail with our big heavy packs... RRRRRRR frown.gif.

that night in the campground we have to put out our CANDLE LANTERNS and sit in the dark because 'candle lanterns don't have an on/off switch' and are therefore open flame and prohibited under the fire ban. i could do a lot more damage with a MSR stove with an off switch but thats too much logic for the dumbass ranger. bah!

Sunday - OK lets do something adventurous to make up for missing out on Prusik. So we decide to do the Wild Traverse on Midnight. Hike up stupid steep eroded sand pit of a trail . arrive at rock. traverse out on ledge. WRONG LEDGE! traverse out on another ledge following trail of cairns. also WRONG LEDGE (way too low). figure out where right ledge is - by now it is 2:30 PM. ho hum some other day. hike back down to Castle. Decide to do 'Directissima'. stupid hot. blow sequence near top. battle in cam. pump out. decide to hang off cam - go to hang and notice cam is held in by one tooth of one cam and the rest are umbrella'd. just looking at cam is enough to make it fall out. so i don't get to hang but terror suddenly makes me notice hold in front of my face i had mised and i power through to the ledge.

drive home. traffic at 30MPH thru baring, index, startup etc due to huge posse of RVs not using slow vehicle pullouts. fucking dumb asses! 5 hrs castle rock to CDN border.

(should be 3.5)

so..... chest beating aside - 2 days, 7000 feet of elevation gain and loss, 2 pitches, 1 route, $65 US (that's like $100 CDN). I dunno if it was worth it or not.

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 09-24-2001).]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're supposed to either 1) short rope the girl to the top, 2) stop right there, feed her some valium and massage her feet with soothing salve until she feels better 3) camp in the wilderness in some cranny no ranger will find you and break out the coconut oil or 4)fireman carry her to the top.

Assuming she WAS a SHE, Dru!

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

I think you're supposed to either 1) short rope the girl to the top, 2) stop right there, feed her some valium and massage her feet with soothing salve until she feels better 3) camp in the wilderness in some cranny no ranger will find you and break out the coconut oil or 4)fireman carry her to the top.

Assuming she WAS a SHE, Dru!

She would kick my ass! I make her lead the hard pitches and carry the heavy gear!

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 09-24-2001).]

Drul missed you bro we were waiting... We climbed the south face and did some other work <spray coming>. Then we hiked over and climbed Toketie Wall and bushwacked down yesterday evening.

JRW where you the guys with 2 girls on the West Ridge Saturday? Hope you guys had fun wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Cpt.Caveman (edited 09-24-2001).]

For the South Face of Prussik, it is slightly shorter and there is a little less elevation gain going over Aasgard Pass. However, I like camping at Lake Viviane, and to get there is about the same elevation gain and distance either way (Snow Creek or Aasgard). Aasgard is more scenic, with more views, but that approach has much more travel on scree and, should the weather turn bad, would be in the wind for much longer. Permits are often available for Snow Lakes when you can't get one to camp in the upper basin.

Drul to answer your question with my opinion.

No matter what way you go to Prusik you are going a long way. Personally I prefer Snow Lakes but you can come in from the Rat Creek area as well. I liked walking that way to see Prusik, Flake Tower, Monument, Boxtop, High Priest etc from the north. They are pretty impressive from there.

Colchuck Lake approach is shorter but steeper. Pick your poison. Had some friendly goats hanging around waiting for us to piss up by Goat Pass a couple weeks ago, but they never jumped the gun and "milked" us. Sounds like an urban (or rather rural) legend to me. Dru, I'm a little surprised to hear that after all of your Canadian epics you had such an unpleasant experience in the Enchantments/Leavenworth area. Better luck next time, it's worth a repeat visit. Hey, if you think the drive sucks, just go later. We left L-worth around 7:00 this Sunday and were able to cruise along pretty good the whole way home.

I climbed Prusik earlier this summer and we hiked in Snow Creek trailhead and out via Colchuck/Stuart trailhead. It makes for a nice loop. Hitch hiking to the car was not a problem.

I am so impressed that some people climb the South face of Prusik in a day from the trailhead!!! I can understand the west ridge in a day, but the south face, that's some serious hiking/climbing.