tweaked finger

tbh

hey i was climbing at uw gym last night and grabed a small hold too hard and heard a crack it doesn't hurt to bend or anything making me think that i didn't pop a tendon but my knuckle hurts like hell when weighted during climbing.

any advise?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey i was climbing at uw gym last night and grabed a small hold too hard and heard a crack it doesn't hurt to bend or anything making me think that i didn't pop a tendon but my knuckle hurts like hell when weighted during climbing.

any advise?

Stay off of it for a while. You probably damaged a tendon pulley, which is a pretty classic crimping injury (is the hurt knuckle the first one out from the hand, on the middle or ring finger, perchance?). Although, it could be a ligament or maybe you smooshed some cartilege or some shit like that.

In any case, a crack or pop is usually not a good thing to be hearing from your finger (or any other joint, no?).

The usual suspects for recovery would include:

- not climbing on it for six to eight weeks or more (DFA has had finger injuries that took more like 3 months to heal)

- ice for a while, then heat (apparently alternating ice and heat work well)

- analgesics (e.g. aspirin) or anti-inflammatories (e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, or go the natural route and try bromelain)

- continue to be a good boy and not climb on it

- when you do eventually try climbing again, tape the finger above and below the hurt knuckle, and buddy-tape it to the adjacent finger (if it's ring-man, tape it to the middle, not the pinky--duh)

If the pain is severe or things seem abnormal with the joint, it may be worth seeing a doctor, as you may have ruptured the tendon pulley, which could require surgery (yay!).

Good luck; time to work on your pint curls for a spell. bigdrink.gif

do what they say above. if there is any pain, don't use it.

after a couple of weeks, some light climbing, if it's pain-free, can aid recovery. you simply must use restraint, and not pull past pain point.

also, deep friction massage can really help. if it's not a passing thing and it's still bugging you in a couple of weeks, it might be worth it to get some treatment. pm me if you want a referral (yeah yeah she's my wife, but she's a hell of a therapist and she climbs (boo hoo not as much as she used to cry.gif)).

good luck!

PS. any of you other wankers with injuries should seek her wise counsel and treatment also.

I have a recurring injury something like this - the first knuckle on my middle finger won't bend completely after a night of climbing. No pain, only reduced motion. It goes away in about two days.

I did a little research and it kinda sounds like an A2 pulley problem, but what I found on it didn't mention any loss of motion, only pain.

I'm climbing tonight and I will try taping it as described for an A2 pulley issue to see if it helps.

Any thoughts on this?

Scar-tissue buildup, maybe? Although it seems like anything that would limit motion would cause pain, so confused.gif.

One of the Doctor's compatriots had a scar-tissue buildup problem, and the fellow went to a massage therapist, who spent a few sessions breaking up the scar tissue with a pencil eraser. Apparently it felt like hell, but it took care of the problem.