1980 chopper crash in Pickets

magellan

the chopper that crashed (navy) was going after someone with a leg injury (broken?) as I remember. it went down killing several crew members and seriously injuring others. that set off another rescue that at first was hampered by bad weather but succesfully carried out after a day or so. i was on this mission as a mtn. rescue member but it was a long time ago and my memories not so good.

I don't really know anything about the crash, but I did see this plaque on a Pickets trip this past August. This is cemented onto a rock on the heathery ridge that rises south of Perfect Pass. In the second photo, Perfect Pass is lower left, and the plaque was roughly where the heather ridge leaves the photo middle left.

664HeloPlaque.JPG

664PerfectPass.JPG

• 7 years later...

Hey there, my name is Andy Mahoney, my dad was the pilot of the crash in 1980. I was 5 months old. The last several years I have been wanting to hike to the crash site but I have needed to directions on the best way to get there. As well as details about climbing, etc. It sounds like you've been there, could you help me out?

Hi Andy-

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad at a young age, I'm sure it wasn't easy growing up without him.

Although I haven't been seen the plaque, I have been to Perfect Pass, and was likely very close to it (Sounds like Donn could give you exact directions, send him a PM, or I think I can get his email thru friends). The approach to the Pass isn't easy, though the quickest way is probably via Easy Ridge and the Hannegan Pass trail. It is described in the Beckey along with the Nelson/Potterfield Select guides. That said, there is probably lots of beta on the approach on the web. Here is a link to Steph's description (which is probably the best out there): http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/pickets#approach1

It is an approach that requires a good set of mountain skills, and most likely climbing gear, depending on your experience level and conditions. Unless you are pretty experienced in off trail scrambling, it is probably best to go with at least one other person. There are often groups from this site and NW hikers that going in to Perfect Pass each summer, so you may be able to post in the climbing partners forum and find team to go in with. You may also try Kelly Bush at the Marblemount ranger station. It is probably a long shot, but there are ranger patrols that go in to Perfect Pass each summer, and you may be able to tag along as a volunteer in exchange for some work.

I wish you luck in your quest to visit the crash site, and feel free to keep asking questions.

Andy,

The plaque is about 200 yards or so past perfect pass. about 300 vertical feet above and South of said pass, along the ridge top. There is very little mechanical debris and charring. It is in a bouldery area. the plaque faces west.

I hope your journey is a blessed one, and brings peace to your party. I cant think of a more beautiful place, Wayne

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know exactly where this took place? The article described it as a rescue for someone near Mount Redoubt. So was perfect pass the most convenient place to put the plaque?

Regarding getting to Perfect Pass, the terrible Imperfect Impass does not have to be done to get there. There is a class 4 variation if you go down and up. But it's not convenient and has a tricky bush whack section. We did two raps down when going back.

Right, but I'm trying to get more specific with where. Edge of the Challenger Glacier? I know it doesn't matter that much exactly where, but these details add to the story. If you say Perfect Pass area for all I know this could have taken place on the east side of Mount Whatcom.

Try reading Wayne's post:

Andy,

The plaque is about 200 yards or so past perfect pass. about 300 vertical feet above and South of said pass, along the ridge top. There is very little mechanical debris and charring. It is in a bouldery area. the plaque faces west.

That is an interesting twist. I've read that the early versions of the ELTs had less than a 30% success rate upon crash, so it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't have been relied upon to signal a crash and its location. Given how it sounds like the crash unfolded, I would imagine that they wouldn't have been able to radio a distress call, let alone a position.

How long did it take your roommate to summon help?

A while. He hiked all the way out (18 - 20 mi or so?) and got a medal for it. From memory - the chopper apparently hit a wall pretty hard and its a miracle anyone survived.

Actually, it was two friends who came upon the crash. For family members of the crew who seek more details - one of those two posts as TommyT on NWhikers.net.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the info! I'm starting to plan my trip for next summer.

This weekend there was actually a SAR reunion at NAS Whidbey and I had the opportunity to sit down with Rick Wall who was the co-pilot. He walked me through all the details of the crash. Pretty amazing. Looking forward to getting out there.

• 9 years later...

Andy Mahoney,

I know these post are old. I was on the Canadian crew that did the rescue of the co-pilot and sheriff deputy. I found your dad. He was still in his seat and frozen. Sorry for your lost. It was bad. The Americans were trying to get it from the south and we were trying to get in from the north. After 3 days we broke through. Your Dad got into a box canyon and I believe the wind made his chopper hit 200 feet above ground. It’s a miracle anyone survived. The hikers that found the crash site gave up their gear, and that is what saved the lives of the ones we pulled out. It is truly amazing we made it out alive. The hiker that his crew went to rescue only had a sprained ankle.  Your Dad was a true hero and never forgot that

.Randy Miller

• Like 4