Glacier Rope Length/Diameter opinions.

selkirk

Ok, I'm sure this has been hashed over before, but I can never seem to find a damn thing with searchs so....

I'm looking at picking up a dedicated glacier rope (if I do any ice climbing i'll start on the single ropes I have, but don't expect to do much in the next few years). It will be primarily used on local volcanoes and low angle glacier stuff (Dog routes or only slightly more challenging on Baker, Shuksan, Rainer, Dome, etc) so i'm more interested in trimming wait while remaining safe but i've only ever used a 50m 9.8 on glaciers and this seems overkill.

so.. length... 30m, 40m, 50m? and why....

Diameter(probably a Twin rope?) 7.6mm, 8mm, 8.5mm?

Thanks in advance everyone!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue water still offers the ice floss (8.1 mm) in the 37 m length (94 bucks on mgear.com). At 42 g/m this would be a good contender for a glacier travel rope. I know many people usually end up turning a 60 or 70 m ice/alpine rope that has been shortened over the years for whatever reason (rap anchors, core shots, misplaced tool placements) into their glacial rope but it sounds like you don't have this option. You could post something in the yard sale and see if anyone has a chunk they might be willing to sale/give to you. I might have a piece of 8.6 you could buy...

The glacier will dictate distance between rope team members... for cascade glaciers a 37 m rope should be great for 2-4 member rope teams.

If you do end up going skinny keep in mind with a skinny rope that 3 mm of difference is ideal for prusik knots... most people carry prusiks that are 6 mm... a 5 mm prusik would give you better gripage.

I second NOLSe's opinion. I use such a rope (except it's an 8.4 mm from Sterling, but it's the same length). I used it last on Sahale two weeks ago, as a team of 3, and even though the glacier was pretty open at that time of the year, I still felt like I could have added a fourth member on the rope comfortably.

RE: prusiks, if using 6mm prusiks on such a rope, make a fourth wrap. Or screw the prusiks and rig those cool Tiblocs (with *slack* always on the sling between the Tibloc and your harness; you don't want to fall on the Tibloc!).

Edit: Duh, I believe you've seen that rope and the distance between people, right?

drC

Edited by Dr_Crash

I use the Beal Rando but you can also get it in a 40m if I am not mistaken.

If you can get it in 40 m good pick... if not the 30 m might be a tad short for some rope team sizes and/or glaciers. And the difference between 30 m and 40 m at a rope that light is negligible IMO.

Theres a 33% weight difference between the 30m and the 40m Geek_em8.gif That's a lot more than the weight of the tags in your jacket and your toothbrush handle.

30 m is plenty for 3 people. They'll be 40+ feet apart.

Thanks for the math frenchie rolleyes.gif

Hey, you wouldn't believe the number of people who think that you need to divide the rope length by the number of people on it, and not that number minus one.

Oh, and for you metric people, they would be ~15 meters apart (minus rope for knots). tongue.gif