Previous Supreme Court Confirmation Votes

JoshK

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 1930's FDR did try to pack the court BUT he was defeated in congress which his party controlled by more than 2/3d's. It is true that he appointedDouglas bu Ike appointed Warren and Truman Black (hint he was conservative) The first attempt to pack the Court was by Nixon with Hanswoerth and Carswell who were defeated by a Democratic Senate but we endedup with Burger and Reinquest instead. Reagans appointments were not particularly idelogical nor were Carters, Fords, or Clintons (GOP controled Senate then). Bush I gave us Scalia and Thomas who were although neither said so at their hearings. I can pretty much guarentee that Roberts will be just as reactionary, which is different from conservative (conservatives want to keep things the way they are reactionaries want to take things back).

I knew a righty would have something stupid to say. smile.gif

Last time I checked, senators are supposed to represent their state's interests, not bow to the president's whim. You might want to retake a basic American political systems course.

the precedent is to confirm the President's nominees unless they are grossly unqualified.

If you want to talk precedent, it was also precedent to not threaten rule changes to block fillibusters.

Irregardless, a senator's "boss" is his (or her?) state's citizens, not the president.

In any event, I was never really against this Roberts character. I think he is certainly unqualified to be Chief Justice as I tend to think Chiefs should be nominated from existing Justices, or at least somebody with a history at the federal court level. He has nither. (oh really???) But aside from that, i'll take him as a presumed improvement to Renquist.

1)Your use of Irregardless shows poor form.

2)The ABA rates Roberts as "exceptionally well qualified". Its highest rating.

3)Like you, I would have preferred to see Scalia appointed chief justice. frown.gif

4)Roberts was previously appointed to The DC Circuit Court of Appeals. This is a federal court.

Josh, forget about that "American Political Systems" rolleyes.gif course. You obviously aren't learning anything. Might I suggest you take a sub-100 level course in English, and then move forward with your post-primary education?

3)Like you, I would have preferred to see Scalia appointed chief justice. frown.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Josh, forget about that "American Political Systems" rolleyes.gif course. You obviously aren't learning anything. Might I suggest taking a sub-100 level course in English, and then moving forward with your post-primary education?

yelrotflmao.gif

What do you expect from a product of our secondary school education system combined with "higher" education in liberal arts by left-wing professors, and tempered by an 18-25 year old mind. That's right, a grammatically-challenged, brain-washed, ignoramus/besser-wisser. pitty.gif This case is much more severe, however, and the recommendation for remedial education, although a noble suggestion, will not help Josh with his cranial-rectal inversion.

In the 1930's FDR did try to pack the court BUT he was defeated in congress which his party controlled by more than 2/3d's. It is true that he appointedDouglas bu Ike appointed Warren and Truman Black (hint he was conservative) The first attempt to pack the Court was by Nixon with Hanswoerth and Carswell who were defeated by a Democratic Senate but we endedup with Burger and Reinquest instead. Reagans appointments were not particularly idelogical nor were Carters, Fords, or Clintons (GOP controled Senate then). Bush I gave us Scalia and Thomas who were although neither said so at their hearings. I can pretty much guarentee that Roberts will be just as reactionary, which is different from conservative (conservatives want to keep things the way they are reactionaries want to take things back).

cantfocus.gif

You must work for the ACLU!

I knew a righty would have something stupid to say. smile.gif

Last time I checked, senators are supposed to represent their state's interests, not bow to the president's whim. You might want to retake a basic American political systems course.

the precedent is to confirm the President's nominees unless they are grossly unqualified.

If you want to talk precedent, it was also precedent to not threaten rule changes to block fillibusters.

Irregardless, a senator's "boss" is his (or her?) state's citizens, not the president.

In any event, I was never really against this Roberts character. I think he is certainly unqualified to be Chief Justice as I tend to think Chiefs should be nominated from existing Justices, or at least somebody with a history at the federal court level. He has nither. (oh really???) But aside from that, i'll take him as a presumed improvement to Renquist.

1)The use of Irregardless is poor form.

2)The ABA rates Roberts as "exceptionally well qualified". Its highest rating.

4)Roberts was previously appointed to The DC Circuit Court of Appeals. This is a federal court.

Josh, forget about that "American Political Systems" rolleyes.gif course. You obviously aren't learning anything. Might I suggest you take a sub-100 level course in English, and then move forward with your post-primary education?

Hey fairweather, don't you have some unanswered questions waiting for you on another thread? Perhaps you were feeling a little embarrassed, and tried a few diversionary tactics over here?

I still want to know your ....

answers please!

Edited by sexual_chocolate