Salomon Pro ice vs Koflach Degree Advice needed!!

DarknessPhotography

I am considering buying Salomon Pro Ice or Koflach Degree since my boots are gone with my lovely car which got stolen.

(.. don't wanna get into this situation again- wake up - say good morning - and noticing my car have disappeared from where I parked.. horrible..)(anywaaay)

I've tried on my friend's Salomon Pro ice, which was only walked for few hundred feets since its purchase. It fit like glove for me and I loved them even I only walked on cement sidewalk for a mile. But since this boots is quite expensive, I am also considering Koflach Degree.

(I have flat feet so I have custom footbed. Nothing to worry about footbed yelrotflmao.gif)

I am looking for boots that I could use for :

1.occational ice climbing(front-pointing)

2.long slushy snow walking

3.sometimes just enjoy snowshoeing with my family.

temperature for above activity would be around -20'F~30'F.

I haven't tried on the koflach degree, but by reading many articles written on this board, the degree is the best choice for me(also cheap wink.gif)

Salomon pro ice is $180 and Koflach degree is $230~250.

which one for my purpose!?

ADVICE PLEASE !!!wave.gifwave.gif

Edited by DarknessPhotography

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a pair of Salomon Super Mountain 9s (predecessor to the Pro Ice) for about six years, and have been very happy with them. I've used them ice climbing, glacier slogging and alpine climbing, and they've performed well in all situations. Salomon even resoled them for $30 a couple years ago, which was way cheaper than I could find anyone to do it in Vancouver. It took about a month, but they came back with a factory sole.

My concern about buying Salomon these days is that the SM9's were made in Italy, but I think all their boots are now made in China. I may be mistaken on that though.

I'd choose leather over plastic for just about anything that didn't involve many continuous days in sub zero weather.

temperature for above activity would be around -20'F~30'F.

Unless you have horrible circulation plastics would be an overkill for this. My advice would be find a pair of insulated leather boots that fit you well (which it sounds like you already have) and get them.

Sorry to hear about your car loss. wave.gif

I had a pair of Salomon SM Lites. The good was that they fit me like a glove and the sole was super stiff for ice climbing but had a rocker for walking. The bad was that after one year they started soaking up water and after two years the stitching on the different outer layers started blowing out.

So I took them back to REI for a refund.

I also have a pair of Koflach Verticals (a stiffer version of the Degree). They stay dry in wet snow, but as someone else mentioned, they are pretty warm. They ice climb well but are a bit klunky (limited ankle mobility).

hmm.. Even i am going to use the boots in kind of not very cold temperature range, I have quite a cold feet due to bad circulation plus low blood pressure.

(maybe bloodpressure is not the one that results cold feet)

I actually had Asolo Evoluzion shell + AFS 8000 for two years for ice climbing and all-round temperature in winter and wet Autum. But i sold it becuase it had too stiff ankle for walking and clunky for me since I bought one size bigger one than what i should've bought. This boots was always warm and durable. Even used around 55'F, but never hot, always warm.

Not sure about what to do!

plastic boots?(even considering other koflach boots like Artic EXPE or Vertical)

OR Leather Boots?

hmmmmmmmmm

not sure of the insulative quality of the salomon boot but -20F can be pretty cold for non insulated leathers. Sounds like you are unhappy with plastics from your post so you may want to check out some insulated leathers. I have used my nepal extremes in -20F and been fairly comfortable. Probably more than $180 though.

Might want to check out insulated super gaiters (around $120) to add to the salomon boots for very cold days.

I'd strongly recomend you rent some POS Degree's from REI before you purchase them. I did and ended up buying some insulated leather Scarpa's for cold weather climbing and slogging.

I use a vapor barrier over my liner sock to help keep my insulation dry and it's worked well for me on several volcano climbs as well as cold weather ice climbing. Much more versatility than in a plastic.