Picnic Lunch Wall

alexbaker

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete Keane, co-owner of Timberline Mountain Guides put out a small addendum to the Smith Rock Guide back in the '90's that includes many aid routes in the area, and I believe he has done most of the routes on the wall.

info@timberlinemtguides.com

If he doesn't get back to you, PM me and I will give you his personal e-mail contact.

Erik Wolfe

Edited by MisterE

So this is probably the appropriate place to ask the question.

If you take a hammer and chisel and bash edges into patina, that's chipping.

But what if you trundle a huge block onto a blank slab, and the falling block makes a trail of edges as it tumbles down the slab. Are THOSE edges chipped holds?

Hmmm. It seems like everytime i ask someone about this wall i get a funny look and little grin, followed by mumbling. Interesting... Still no beta however.

If you expect me to sit here and type 18 pages of cliff notes for every single picnic lunch wall route you can the_finger.gif off. No offense but I (and I would expect most people on this page) have better things to do with their time... like oh... say go climbing! If you have questions about specific routes say so and perhaps we can help you.

As far as 5 easy pieces it is on the rightt side of the face (climbers)... five pitches of 12/13- (unless some hold broke) sport. Sweet route if you can send.

Bubba's in Bondage is the best aid route IMO. Opinions vary greatly. Bring a good selection of hooks.

The 4 pitch route that starts on Teddy Bear's picnic (I forget the name) is fine adventure climbing... the chimney, though it protects well, is disgusting. Not solid like Watts suggests.

Are you looking for beta on free routes or aid routes?

Awesome!! I was looking for beta on aid routes for sure. That 18 page write up might be overkill, however. NOLSE have you climbed these aid routes? If so i might have to keep peskering you for information. I would go find out myself, but i am quite a drive from smith, and dont expect to be there for a week or two.

As far as 5 easy pieces it is on the rightt side of the face (climbers)... five pitches of 12/13- (unless some hold broke) sport. Sweet route if you can send.

In that picture it looks like free climbing. Are you saying that you climbed 5 pitchs of 5.12 and 5.13? evils3d.gif

That picture is on free lunch d00d! hahaha.gifmoon.gif

PM me with specific questions... I'll help you as best I can. I haven't done them all but I have done a few of them. Retired has also done Bubba's recently (this summer I believe)... his beta might be a little more up to date (i.e. people add bolts to this thing all the time... it is maybe A3 currently).