Who here has tried the "hypnotic belay"?

Alpinfox

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I secured my buddy with a "hypnotic belay' on Labor Day up at Index. While aid climbing I simply stared intensely at a bug that was climbing the rock. Soon I no longer felt nor cared about his persistent tugs on my grigri. This technique seems to while away hours at those long belays................

This is hypno SELF belay.

"She describes her use of hypnotic ego-strengthening, mental rehearsal, age progression, and "Inner Strength" as well as active-alert trance states"

IOW

"I gaze into myself to see what a great mental giant I am at the age of 2" or some crazy shit like that. What I like though, is after you do this, your inner strength becomes Inner Strength.

Altered States is a great movie to research this helpful technique. Especially if you drop acid a half hour before starting the movie.

Am J Clin Hypn. 2003 Jul;46(1):45-51. Related Articles, Links

The hypnotic belay in alpine mountaineering: the use of self-hypnosis for the resolution of sports injuries and for performance enhancement.

Morton PA.

The author, an experienced alpine mountaineer, sustained several traumatic climbing injuries over a two-year period. This article describes her multiple uses of self-hypnosis to deal with several challenges related to her returning to successful mountain climbing. She used self-hypnosis for physical healing and to enhance her motivation to resume climbing. While training for her next expedition, she successfully utilized self-hypnotic techniques to deal with acute stress and later post-traumatic symptoms that had emerged related to her climbing injuries. She describes her use of hypnotic ego-strengthening, mental rehearsal, age progression, and "Inner Strength" as well as active-alert trance states. Her successful summitting of Ecuador's Cotopaxi at 19,380 feet was facilitated by "The Hypnotic Belay" which permitted her to secure herself by self-hypnosis in addition to the rope used to secure climbers. In 1994, the author returned to the Cascade Mountains where she had been injured three years earlier and reached the summit of Mount Shuksan. This time she was secured by "The Hypnotic Belay".