Dad on the Loose

Dylan

I'd be curious to find out how much you father's and mother's lives have changed (or not), in terms of risk-taking, after a little one has been brought into the world. We've got a 3.5 month old and now the some of climbs I used to do seem a lot more dicey than before.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what w/ all the screaming and stress around my house these days since my daughter was born, i find myself soloing a lot more...

i have noticed though that occasionally i feel more "gripped" at cruxy places, in part because of a feeling of being on the verge of fucking up a bunch of serious responsibilities

...now the some of climbs I used to do seem a lot more dicey than before.

Happened to me, too. He's 3 years old now. I don't want to give it up at all, but I've definitely toned it way down since we got him.

I do, however, remember jetting out of the house a lot in the early days; same reason as ivan. Couldn't handle the screaming/crying either. Found myself soloing up the first pitch of Ride the Lightning at Goose Egg one day, and realized, "WTF are you doing???" That day changed everything...

I've got 5 and 7 year-old boys. Do I want to take them climbing? --I already have. Do I have troubling dreams where I picture them falling in the mountains? Already have. Do I have a hard time reconciling my instinctive protectiveness with my desire to share the mountains with them? You bet.

My son is now 18 months and our daughter was born this past June. Fatherhood is wonderful, if diaper-full, so far. Has my risk profile changed? Yes and no.

I have always had a desire to come back in one piece with my head intact. For that reason have never soloed routes near the limits of my abilities. I wear a skull bucket for most climbing. Geek_em8.gif That said, I've willfully entered 'must not fall' situations, as we all have. These have been on lead but also on approaches and descents where a rope wouldn't help anyway.

I have been out since having the kids and my risk level is only a little more conservative than my pre-kid level. Still, my perspective has changed. It used to be "If I die here I know I've already lived a full life with no regrets." Now I have lots of reasons to be around for years to come and to be healthy enough to share climbing and hiking with my kids when they're older.

I look forward to adventures with my kids, and in my book adventure involves uncertainty and risk of one sort or another. How will I feel when they climb trees or cross rivers or climb? Probably nervous as hell, but I'll try hard to encourage them and not be over-protective. Life without risk, on the couch surfing cable, wouldn't really be an example I'd want to set for them anyway.

i didnt' start climbing until after both my kids were born. what made the difference for me was divorce. I feel more responsible for the boys now (9 and almost 7) My ex climbs as well. way harder than i do. I get more gripped now and feel more responsible. it makes me wonder what i would have done had i started climbing before i had kids. but even though i am not out on the edge as much as i might be i still love to climb and push myself as far as i am willing to go.

fruit.gif

I have a 4 month old son, and in fact I feel more inspired to climb classic alpine routes. For the most part, on classics I know protection will be abundant and descents safe. What's changed is my desire adventure climb. When on the rock, I think about how good the gear is these days and trust it.

B/C skiing, now there's risk!