I am the snaffle assassin!

Kraken

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does such a venerable group of men end up in a discussion about skwerls?

Please see my response to your OP about "Tarot and skwerls"

I guess I missed your point.

Yes, you did.

Please explain why you would mention these people and miserable rodents in the same breath.

Do I really need to do that? Please go back and read your OP, followed by my reply to that post. I think that'll clear things up rather quickly. If not, lemme know and I'll spell it out for you.

All right, that took a bit, fighting the kid for the keyboard and all, but here goes...

Clintoris made a reference that he was becoming adept at killing off snaf.gif. This reminded me of a scene in Apocalypse Now, where the lieutenant goes around dealing out "death cards" over the dead bodies of the fallen enemy after a skirmish. My post attempted (apparently a poor attempt for some, in retrospect) to make a humorous analogy between Clintoris’s marksmanship skills and those of our armed forces in combat, and between snaffles and the PAVN and VC. Clintoris represents the lieutenant in the movie, and the snaffles represent the enemy. I did a quick search online and find the "death card dealing" scene described above, and posted the image therefrom. You all must know the scene...

Lieutenant: “I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like… victory!”

Anybody who has ever seen the movie gets a little chuckle, and I thought that would be the end of it...

Anyway, now enter you, Fonspa. You interpreted the image as a Tarot card, when in fact, it was a "death card" from the 7th Cavalry Regiment, and posted your incorrect interpretation.

I responded to your post and asked you to look again at the card more closely. If you did, you would have seen the "horsehead" design of the 7th Cavalry; it was not a Tarot card. I did another search and posted a larger image of the 7th Cavalry’s shoulder patch so you could clearly see the similarity between the two images. Upon further reflection, I was subsequently led to conclude that there may be several others viewing this thread that do not know the significance of the "death card" practice from the Vietnam War era, or, shocked.gif , have not seen Apocalypse Now. I then proceeded to provide that backdrop for the uninitiated.

Since I used the 7th Cavalry as the starting point for my "death card" post to Clintoris, I continued to use that particular regiment in light of the current discussion, and then made note of the fact that the 7th Cavalry Regiment was under Custer’s command when it was annihilated at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. This fact then further reminded me of the book, We Were Soldiers Once... and Young , because it features the true events of the Battle of Ia Drang, where the besieged 1st Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment was under the command of (then) Lt. Col. Hal Moore (other battalions of the 7th under the command of others were soon involved, as were other regiments of the 1st Cavalry Division, but that is not the point in this discussion here). I concluded that post by cautioning readers of this thread to be wary of the events depicted in the movie of the same name, as some if it (the final scene/conclusion, in particular) is entirely Hollywood bullshit.

In retrospect, it seems that the need for an explanation caused the thread to drift too far for the intended humor to be recognized and appreciated. For that, I apologize. However, it was never my intention to infer anything disingenuous nor dishonorable about the 7th Cavalry Regiment in particular, nor our armed forces in general. I was only noting a similarity between Clintoris’s snaf.gif situation and that of our armed forces in Vietnam, and the consternation that both of those parties are feeling/did feel towards their respective foes. That is, a desperate conflict with a diminutive, determined enemy who went largely unseen.

That clear it up any for you?

...and as Off_White will undoubtedly posit, the humor is lost upon explanation... smirk.gif

Not only have you wasted your time, you will continue to waste your life. Obsessing over Nam and old Brando movies isn't impressive or very conducive to a sound life style, not that you have any style which is very well demonstrated by your little devil head flipping us off. No class...

...not that you have any style which is very well demonstrated by your little devil head flipping us off. No class...

Your point should have been in recognizing your disapproval of his style "demonstrated by [his] little devil head flipping [you] off", noob.

Those that easily take and tenaciously hold offense don't last in this class.the_finger.gif

You're right, lol, and my appologies to Dru. Symbols just reflect the observer. Sobo, finish your screenplay and shove your drama in the appropriate place. This thread is about pests. The pests are simply skwerls. There's no need for obtuse comparisons to old movies that approach the arcane. I think the Deer Hunter was a far better depiction of those times which I happened to live through, but that was a long time ago. This is a new body count..

Sobo, finish your screenplay and shove your drama in the appropriate place. This thread is about pests. The pests are simply skwerls. There's no need for obtuse comparisons to old movies that approach the arcane. I think the Deer Hunter was a far better depiction of those times which I happened to live through, but that was a long time ago. This is a new body count..

rolleyes.gif Right, whatever. What you apparently don't know is that I happened to live through those times as well.

You really are Crampon, aren't you?

Lighten up. It's just skwerls for Chists sake. I didn't read your post very carefully the first time. It seemed unwarranted and too lengthy. I reread it carefully and now understand your point. Are you going to post your next opinion in hieroglyphics?

Edited by Fonspa