South Side route of Hood?

skeletor

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it 12 days ago.

The route is considerably more difficult right now than it normally is. I would not recommend it if you want a mellow snow slog. Some ice climbing experience is probably a good prerequisite right now.

Lots of scree walkin' to get to the snow.

Route is fine up to the bergschrund. After that and through the pearly gates it's 60 degree ice with spots of water ice! (I used two screws) and delicate mixed climbing on blocks wedged in sand. We descended the west crater variation which would be a better ascent route right now. 50 degree ice.

Bring lots of water. The sun is brutal.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the shape of the route now? I'd like to solo it maybe this Friday night / Sat morning. It'd be my first solo, so much snow = goodness. If not soloing, I'll try to get someone willing to do the roundtrip from Seattle to Hood in 24 hours like that (being on Rainier on Sun).

drC

bring a second tool for good ice/dirt sticks! iain and i downclimbed the pearly gates in totally snowless conditions liek that a couple of octobers ago - scary! -actually it was well below freezing then and that's the only conditions i could imagine entering that taint-zone in. it just seems like stupidity sans glory to do it now...