Training?

dragonfly

hey - im new to rock climbing (only been once) and am interested in teaming up with someone who knows what they are doing in order to learn. i love the sport and have been reading up on what i need to know. i live in the puyallup/tacoma area...anyone know how i can get started or how to meet up with some people?

thanks for any info...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to consider a course designed for building top rope anchors and placing gear if thats where your going. You may not want to put all your trust in someone who is just figuring it out like yourself. If your future partners are anything like me they will pretend to know more than they really do. Usually it's not so much what they know that is the problem, it's what they don't know that will get you/them in trouble. A guide has a certian responsability to get you started on the right track and teach exceptable systems and technigues.

Having done that climbing gyms seem to be a breeding ground for potential new partners. Local alpine club usually has club trips with somewhat responsible trip leaders. ( beware of those who use the title of leader with a little to much zest) Isn't there a seattle mountaineers club around there somewhere with 20 zillion members, there must be at least one that will go out with you. If worse comes to worse there is a cyber sex fiend named CRAMPON lurking around this site. Get a dress, tuck it and I am sure you could get a day or so out of him before he caught on.

As jmckay said, there is a Tacoma branch of the Mountaineers (www.mountaineers.org and www.tacomamountaineers.org). They apparently have a sport climbing course in addition to the traditional mountaineering courses (you'd have to wait for next year as all these courses start at the end of winter). The gym is a great place to find people too, and most gyms have a "partners wanted" board you can put your contact info on. I found that a combination of learning with friends and formal training worked best for me; my time with my friends is too valuable to impose on them the learning of the basics, but as with many things, the more people you climb with, the more you'll be exposed to different experiences and perspectives.

drC

You Guys. rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

Dragonfly: An important thing for you to consider before you decide which direction (club or individual) is, what is your demeanor towards learning climbing?

If you are a cautious individual who is process-oriented and social, go with the club

If you are itching to go climbing, quieter, maybe a bit of a loner, and are willing to trade some falls for speed of learning curve, find an experienced (climbing) partner to show you the ropes. Or go bouldering.

The gym experience is somewhere in the middle, tending towards the latter, but I still feel bad habits are learned in the gym.

My $.02, Erik