mitigating suckiness of crazy carpets

luwayo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...rigged to yer pack. sorry, i went back to edit that in.

crazy carpet: you know! long sheet of plastic that kids slide down bunny hills in winter. they must fall under the generic term "sleds" for you guys? also appropriated by ski mtnrs when they don't want to use moulded sleds. waaaay less control with a crazy carpet tho.

tx Fern. a cc can be hard to find at this time of year! i've got one, but it kinda sucked on its protype run. think i'll go with a few compression straps. i anticipate they'll get abraided tho; will prussik it to the main line for sure.

Edited by luwayo

Distribution of patients by age and sex

Most sledding injuries were to children between the ages of 5 and 14. Of all sledding injuries, 14.7% were to children younger than 5 years of age, 35.1% were to 5 9 year olds, 41.8% were to 10 14 years olds, and 8.3% were to people 15 years of age or older. The proportion of records in the CHIRPP database during this time period due to sledding injuries was 1.5%. Overall, 57.7% of injuries were to males.

Circumstance of injury

More than half (59.3%) of the injuries occurred in an outdoor recreation area. Other places included the home yard (17.8%), daycare or school (6.9%), and transportation areas such as a road, footpath or parking area (1.7%).

Overall, patients were injured most frequently when they fell to the ground while sliding (40.1%), collided with an obstacle such as a rock, tree or snow bank (32.6%) or collided with another person (15.3%). Other circumstances included being injured on a sled, for example, by getting a body part caught in the sled (7.3%), sliding into a dangerous area such as a street or river (2.4%), or being injured while carrying or pulling a sled (1.0%).

The table below shows how the circumstances of injury varied by age. For the younger patients, colliding with an obstacle was the most common circumstance, while for the older ones collisions were less likely to occur.

Distribution (%) of circumstance of injury by age

<5 years (n=118) 5-9 years (n=282) 10-14 years (n=336) >14 years (n=67)

Fell off sled 24.9 35.8 47.6 47.8

Collided with object 44.9 36.5 25.9 28.4

Collided with person 15.3 19.1 12.5 13.4

Other/unknown 14.9 8.6 14.0 10.4

In only 37.2% of the cases was the type of sled used specified. Of the sled types that were specified, 41.0% were GT-type sleds, 36.5% toboggans, 15.0% crazy carpets, 3.9% snow disks, 2% luges, and 1.6% inner tubes. For patients younger than 9 years of age, the most common type of sled specified was a toboggan. Among patients aged 10 and older, the GT type sled was most often reported.

Distribution (%) of type of sled by age

<5 years (n=36) 5-9 years (n=91) 10-14 years (n=39) >14 years (n=31)

GT-type sled 8.3 33.0 52.3 48.4

Toboggan 63.9 42.9 26.2 35.5

Crazy carpet 16.7 17.6 14.1 9.7

Other/unknown 11.1 6.5 7.4 6.4

Nature of injury and body part injured

Overall, the most common body part injured was the leg (20.5%) and the most frequent type of injury was abrasion, bruising or inflammation. Head or neck injuries were more common among younger children than older children. For children younger than 10, these injuries comprised approximately a third of the injuries. For children 10 14 years of age, approximately 10% of injuries were to the head or neck.

Treatment

Half (51.6%) of patients with sledding-related injuries received advice only or minor treatment, 36.7% had significant treatment, and 11.1% were admitted to hospital. This indicates a high rate of serious injury: it is twice the percentage of all injuries in the CHIRPP database that resulted in hospital admission (5.7%). While severity of injury fluctuated slightly among age groups, hospitalization rates remained the same.

Less than 1% of the patients, six in all, reported wearing a safety device. In five of these cases, the type of safety device specified was a helmet. Due to the high risk of head injury, particularly among children younger than 10, helmet use should be encouraged.

Evidences indicates that Luwayo is between 5-9 yrs of age.

By her own admission, she mutilates dolls

if barbie comes on my climb, it would be with her impailed head on my axe.

Violent acts toward dolls have long been recognized as indicators of a violent psychopathology that does not confine itself to dolls. "Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the well-being of any doll as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of worthless human lives," wrote humanitarian Albert Schweitzer. "Murderers...very often start out by mutilating and torturing dolls as kids," according to Robert K. Resler, who developed profiles of serial killers for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Studies have now convinced sociologists, lawmakers, and the courts that acts of cruelty toward dolls deserve our attention. They can be the first sign of a violent pathology that includes humans.

I don't think this thread is really about crazy carpets at all. I think this is a desperate plea for help.

Paired with her "exploding gu" thread, I shudder to imagine what hells young Luwayo must be experiencing.

fern, you must have a knack for rigging stuff. forgive my standard laconic & vague posts. i'm 9, and i have a deficit of attention. and the rest of your hosers, i assumed everybody here was my age. grin.gif

griz, if i bring barbie's disembodied head, you can totally play with her whenever you're packing ken evils3d.gif

took crazy carpet sleds on a two week trip around Waddington this spring...and of course, they sucked, but here's what I learned. We opted for the crazy carpets so we could roll them up and stow them on our packs when we had burned through enough food/fuel not to need them anymore.

Had thought about using a Petzel Swivel (or similar) in the rigging, so that when the sled inevitably begins twisting and flipping on the downhills, that it will not tangle the rigging (as the rigging twists, it will slowly get closer and closer to your skis until its nipping at your heels)....ended up not using the swivel after reading a TR where someone did this and the swivel broke, and their sled rocketed away downslope...

I used a long piece of 6mm cord and just clipped biners on the waistbelt of my backpack to connect it...didn't want to bother with an extra harness to attach the sled or attach it straight to my climbing harness...too bulky.

I used a grommet tool (can get one at most sewing shops) to pound in grommets all around the perimeter of the crazy carpet...plenty of lash-on points to tie it all together.

I packed all my sled gear in a huge waterproof stucksack (O.R. Hydroseal something or other) and then wrapped the crazy carpet around it....kept everything dry and compact.

The critical thing is keep the center of gravity low and spread out otherwise the sled will constantly flip...some of the steeper terrain we were on, folks just carried their sleds like a big duffle bag and didn't even try to tow them.

And make a rope brake...a zig zag of cordage under the sled that you can quickly get on or off...with a proper brake, your sled won't fly past you when going downhill (thought it will still probably flip...a lot).