Adams - North Ridge

Couloir

I'm heading up there this weekend. I realize it's a half-way decent route when it's covered in snow, but is it crazy to head up there now? I don't mind the scree and a little bit of less-than-productive climbing, but is there any redeeming value going up this route now?

Why? I've been up there many times...just never up this route, and I didn't make it up there earlier this year. I have the weekend free so I thought what the hell.

Thoughts? Thanks! bigdrink.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I descended the NR this summer after doing the Adams Glacier. I wrote "Not recommended as a climb" in my copy of Selected, just so I didn't forget how bad it was. it's the epitome of Cascades loose slog fests to say the least, most likely hot and dry this time of year too.

cool campsites at the 7505' lake and just above (7600') on a dry lakebed, though.

I thought the NR was a fine non-technical route when I did it on 7/4/05. Straightforward route and the scree wasn't too bad. Probably significantly more melted out by now though.

I glissaded down one of the snowfields to skier's left of the ridge on the way down which made for a nicer descent than the NR. That might be a better (although steeper) option for the ascent as well.

I would not recomend the NR unless there is plenty of snow to cover up the scree. Pretty much anything on Adams should be done on snow. If you are going solo you could do the south coulier instead. pretty straight forward slog but atleast it is on snow. I am going up the standard south side dog route Saturday if you want to catch a ride. Leaving at 3Am and plan on being back around 9 Pm or so

Thanks all...point taken.

Barjor, I appreciate the offer. I'll be with a few other cats and they've all done the south side. The NR was just a thought and if everyone's descriptions weren't so bad, we were going to try it.

Maybe we'll hit something fun in the North Cascades.

Thanks again! wave.gif

I climbed the North Ridge on 7/28/2005 with a full pack and camped on the summit, descending the South Side the next day. It was definitely a slog (especially with the extra weight), but I found it a pleasant departure from the crowds of the popular south spur route -- I didn't see anybody at High Camp or the entire day of the climb, and by the time I reached the summit everyone had left. Of course this was on a weekday, so that helped with the solitude, but in general, given the discouragement the North Ridge gets in this forum when there is no snow, I can't imagine seeing many folks on it during the weekend either.

Routefinding is fairly straight-forward, but make sure you climb over the rock wall when you come to the first wand, around 9100ft. I ran into some hikers who said they turned around at 9K because they didn't have an ice axe and crampons, but I don't think they knew to climb the wall and instead thought the route continued along a steep snow field. Snow patches around 10,500-11,500 (ish) offered running water in the afternoon (a nice surprise considering I was getting low -- but you'll have to use a siphon hose to fill a pot or plastic bag or something, there aren't really "pools" to filter out of, just very shallow trickles). Also, there are a few rock-walled bivy sites around 10,400 and 11,100 that looked nice (great views and the bonus of water) if you want to make a couple of days out of it. The summit is nice to camp on too, just make sure you get to the top early enough to dig some snow walls before the snow sets up and makes digging near impossible. Crampons were useful for about the last 1000 feet.

I was surprised to experience the minor stench of sulfur almost all day up the route. Where are the fumaroles on this mountain? I've been plagued by strong sulfur on the South Side of Hood before, but I didn't know Adams was emitting. It was minor and tolerable though, nothing like Hood.

I wouldn't necessarily enjoy decending the North Ridge. It is definitely loose in places. I think if you were going to try to ascend and descend on the same day, this route would be a little frustrating and would make for a VERY long day. Taking your time and camping at either those bivy sites or the summit make for an awesome trip, something I would do again with these same conditions.

Good luck and have fun whichever route you choose!

greg

I was surprised to experience the minor stench of sulfur almost all day up the route. Where are the fumaroles on this mountain? I've been plagued by strong sulfur on the South Side of Hood before, but I didn't know Adams was emitting. It was minor and tolerable though, nothing like Hood.

The sulphur comes from the eastern side of the western summit. When I was up there it was quite strong, stronger than I've smelled on Hood.

I will probably not be online before you guys leave. Last weekend it was great conditions up there but the snow is melting out fast. Use the summer trail to gain the ridge, it is easy to find. There are still snow all the way up to pikers peak and I found water 3 times on my hike up there. If you are anything like me and don't like getting baked and don't like to hike in slushy snow an early start is good, but you already know that.

I am the guy with the German Shepherd, enjoy your hike

I was up there about a month ago, and going up was steep scree hell. I think we got off route and had some really scary steep scree next to cliffs. On the way down we took a snow field on your left hand side on the way down. that make the decent nice. I would not advise doing back down this route. It would take way too long.