top rope ice climbing

hikerwa

Neither climbing nor top roped? That's an interesting perspective...

Yes, both are popular places to go to practice, though I have never been and I have only a vague idea of what conditions would be like right now. Don't let naysayers like Ropegun2001 get you down, however truthful their comments may be... ;-)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know what ropegun's problem is....

I've only been to the Coleman. It's a great place to practise, but gets crowded in fall. Get there early in the day to find a good wall.

Here are some pictures: http://students.washington.edu/dbb/baker.html

(I'd advertize my own website, but the link seems to be down now)

That being said, it may be a little warm there right now. I've only been in September/October, with cooler temps. You could probably find some safe place to play around though. But I bet you'll hear the glacier groaning and creaking a lot in these warm temps - a little scary!

Hey with the weak dollar I can't understand why you aren't up here every weekend? Beckey is... more bang for the buck. I have only been to US twice in the last year (1 each Smith & Leavenworth) but my car has something to do with that, but it is kinda expensive.... like food in a bar costs the same in US$ as it would in CDN$ here??! Same with beer.... next pub club in Chilliwack??

It's not bullying. It's the real deal, and it's being systematically provoked. We're just paying attention that's all. Now go back to the topic and well send PM's as neccessary. This doesn't concern you.

[This message has been edited by panther (edited 08-13-2001).]

since this is a public forum, and i am considered a member of the public, it does concern me. i give a shit less about what you guys call yourselves but personal pissing matches should stay personal...otherwise don't be surprised if someone pipes up about it.

I gotta give my brutha eddie some props here, i gotta time and place. Pub club in tacoma, i think we all know where it is "The Swiss". I don't think that panther will show up... and if he/she does I hope that he/she is more polite in a more "public" forum, and hope he/she can back up what he/she is spouting out. I've had the pleasure of meeting these pub club folks and think that they are pretty cool.

come on panther let's sit down and have a few beers and talk about our differences...

Closer to Seattle would be the ice/caves at the base of Big Four Mountain. Haven't actually climbed there, but three years ago in October there was substantial ice and climbing looked like a possibility. Much of what you find down below Glacier Vista on the Nisqually this time of year is dirt, with a little bit of ice to hold it all together.

I was going to try to get out this weekend and use some Ice tools and have heard that the Coleman glacier and the Nisqually glacier have some large crevasses that can be top roped. If anyone has more information or would like to go spend a couple of days in a crevasse give me a shout out.

I was up on the Nisqually last weekend at around 6400' (est.). There are a couple vertical to overhanging sections up to 35' tall. We didn't need to drop into any crevasses - there is plenty of ice fall like glacier ice to play on. Even with the warm temperatures it was fairly good. By early afternoon the sun had warmed everything up so it was less stable.

Head up to Glacier Vista and take the moraine trail. You drop down to the lateral moraine. Go up parallel to the glacier until you can see the larger faces to the west. Then cross the glacier to them. Lots of loose glacial rock debris and torrents of meltwater.

If you do try toproping anything on the Nisqually - check your anchors (screws) regularly. With the south exposure and intense solar gain we had entire screws melt out in as little as an hour.

• 2 weeks later...