Live 8

Harry_Pi

Hello capitalist!

All this touchee feel good crap makes me sick. It's all about look at me , I'm a big rocker , promote me more and more. Of course, many are concerned about poverty, so instead of singing a tune, put your money out like Bill Gates instead of acting like a preema donna.

Thank you for allowing me to post my opinion.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Live 8 stars to get $4,000 goodie bags

15:43 AEST Fri Jul 1 2005

AP - Live 8 performers are playing for free, but local organisers plan to shower the celebrities with a Hugo Boss duffel bag loaded with high-fashion trinkets valued at about $4,000

They'll also be able to add to their goodie bags with big-ticket items including Hugo Boss suits, valued at $1,000 to $1,310 each; XM satellite radios and subscriptions, $655; Gibson guitars, $2,600; Bertolucci watches, valued between $2,000 and $7,900; and other items.

In all, a celebrity could walk away with a bag of gifts worth as much as $15,700 "We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," said Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tapped by Larry Magid's Electric Factory Concerts to put the bags together.

One ethicist said it was peculiar that the rich gifts are being offered at a concert whose aim is bringing attention to poverty in Africa.

"It's not unethical, but it falls into the middle gray zone," Loyola Marymount University business and ethics professor Thomas White told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "Because on one hand the motivation is to help other people, while on the other hand the motivation is to help yourself, and that doesn't seem to go hand in hand."

Another ethics expert said he wonders why the companies who donated the gifts wouldn't just give the money to charity.

"There is nothing stopping the businesses from taking a stand, saying, 'No, we are going to take this money, and we are going to give it to the charity,"' said Rushworth M. Kidder, president of the Institute for Global Ethics in Camden, Maine.

I've worked with MANY famous musicians in my previous line of work. I can tell you that most of the fluff comes from the people around them. People give them gifts to draw attention to themselves and leach off the artist's popularity. Many of the people you speak of are down to earth like you and me. The event producers and television producers fluff everything up also. You only see what they put up on the screen. That is a small fraction of what is going on.

Live 8 stars to get $4,000 goodie bags

15:43 AEST Fri Jul 1 2005

AP - Live 8 performers are playing for free, but local organisers plan to shower the celebrities with a Hugo Boss duffel bag loaded with high-fashion trinkets valued at about $4,000

They'll also be able to add to their goodie bags with big-ticket items including Hugo Boss suits, valued at $1,000 to $1,310 each; XM satellite radios and subscriptions, $655; Gibson guitars, $2,600; Bertolucci watches, valued between $2,000 and $7,900; and other items.

In all, a celebrity could walk away with a bag of gifts worth as much as $15,700 "We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," said Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tapped by Larry Magid's Electric Factory Concerts to put the bags together.

One ethicist said it was peculiar that the rich gifts are being offered at a concert whose aim is bringing attention to poverty in Africa.

"It's not unethical, but it falls into the middle gray zone," Loyola Marymount University business and ethics professor Thomas White told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "Because on one hand the motivation is to help other people, while on the other hand the motivation is to help yourself, and that doesn't seem to go hand in hand."

Another ethics expert said he wonders why the companies who donated the gifts wouldn't just give the money to charity.

"There is nothing stopping the businesses from taking a stand, saying, 'No, we are going to take this money, and we are going to give it to the charity,"' said Rushworth M. Kidder, president of the Institute for Global Ethics in Camden, Maine.

LAME!

Famous people suck because companies give them free things?

I think what sucks is that they accept them. If there is one group of people who don't need to be given stuff, its them. Why can't they auction it for donations or request that the gift-baggers do something more useful with their tax write-off givaways.

I think what sucks is that they accept them. If there is one group of people who don't need to be given stuff, its them. Why can't they auction it for donations or request that the gift-baggers do something more useful with their tax write-off givaways.

Because they arn't rude and accept gifts.

We can afford to go climbing and spray on a computer.

Should we sell our gifts to benefit the less fortunate?

We should not envy others.

So many assumptions. Why not place the blame where it belongs - at the companies giving the goodie bags?

Celebrity folks aren't rude? And to prove it they accept obscenely expensive "gifts"? At a charity event? (maybe I misread the article).

I don't magically "afford" to climb. I work. And at my company, no one can accept a gift valued over $400 from a client. I agree with not only the ethics behind that rule, but I believe that it saves on wasteful bs.

To benefit the less fortunate, I am an active board member of a local nonprofit. I donate a couple of weekends each year to help fix homes that the elderly or infirm owner cannot do themselves. I donate money and clothes. For Xmas, I request donations to be made to charities I have a particular affinity for (in addition to asking for new climbing gear). I feel like this is a good start.

And the thought of envying a "star" is laughable to me. Please.

Celebrity folks aren't rude? And to prove it they accept obscenely expensive "gifts"? At a charity event? (maybe I misread the article).

I don't magically "afford" to climb. I work. And at my company, no one can accept a gift valued over $400 from a client. I agree with not only the ethics behind that rule, but I believe that it saves on wasteful bs.

To benefit the less fortunate, I am an active board member of a local nonprofit. I donate a couple of weekends each year to help fix homes that the elderly or infirm owner cannot do themselves. I donate money and clothes. For Xmas, I request donations to be made to charities I have a particular affinity for (in addition to asking for new climbing gear). I feel like this is a good start.

There are no more rude celebrities than rude people you meet anywhere else.

If you're not envious of them, then why do you have issues about what they do with their own money? Just curious, not trying to put you on the defensive.

Why do you make such generalizations about people you don't know personally?

Every celebrity or person with power is picked apart and criticized. Either because of jealousy, misinformation or just lack of understanding. You see them getting these gifts, but you have no clue what they actually do with them. You just assume you know.

There are no more rude celebrities than rude people you meet anywhere else.

If you're not envious of them, then why do you have issues about what they do with their own money? Just curious, not trying to put you on the defensive.

Why do you make such generalizations about people you don't know personally?

Every celebrity or person with power is picked apart and criticized. Either because of jealousy, misinformation or just lack of understanding. You see them getting these gifts, but you have no clue what they actually do with them. You just assume you know.

It is a sad but true statement that rudeness infiltrates all sorts of people.

I don't have issues with what they do with their own money, I have issues with accepting expensive stuff at what I understand to be a charity/benefit gig.

I understand your post to be one of inquiry, not attack, and so I do not feel defensive.

Generalizations are how we all group information. I am making a general observation and infusing my own beliefs into the discussion.

We all all picked apart and criticized. So what? People generally stop taking it personally after they turn thirty or so (another generalization). Stars are easier to pick apart b/c everyone in the conversation usually knows whom we are talking about.

And to clarify: I am not jealous of famous people--I am very happy with my quiet, fulfilling life. My family lived in Ketchum, Idaho, for years (right between Sun Valley and Hailey). I have known and been friends with famous folks and I do have respect for the incredible amount of energy that their lives require. I don't, however, have any particular admiration for a person due to their fame. But, like it or not, their visibility assures that their actions have more impact on more people than the rest of us can have. Therefore, make them count.

And you're right, I don't know what they do with them. I don't care. I wish the stuff hadn't been accepted in the first place. It does not support the cause that they were there for.

The blame lies in ignorant hypothetical assumptions of Right and Wrong.
Which ones?

Bill answered sufficiently.

We can never know all of the factors that precipitate the behavior of others.

Expectations of compliance by others to personal or codified frameworks of Right and Wrong are unhappily natural inclinations accepted generally as rational; in experience, they are wholly unsupportable.

The blame lies in ignorant hypothetical assumptions of Right and Wrong.

We can never know all of the factors that precipitate the behavior of others.

Expectations of compliance by others to personal or codified frameworks of Right and Wrong are unhappily natural inclinations accepted generally as rational; in experience, they are wholly unsupportable.

So what makes one person's belief system right and another's a "hypothetical assumption of Right and Wrong"?

And of course we can't know all the factors that go into another person's decisions--we often don't even know all the ones that affect ourselves.

And I certainly don't expect anyone to comply with anything I believe. But I can sure comment on what I see and throw out my thoughts on the matter.

What I get out of doing that is other people's perspectives and opinions. I learn from those. They help shape what I think.

Certainly you don't think I am posting in the hopes that the Live 8 group will read this, see the error of their ways, and bend to my will, do you?

So what makes one person's belief system right and another's a "hypothetical assumption of Right and Wrong"?
They are one in the same.

And of course we can't know all the factors that go into another person's decisions--we often don't even know all the ones that affect ourselves.
Agree totally

And I certainly don't expect anyone to comply with anything I believe. But I can sure comment on what I see and throw out my thoughts on the matter.
I love to do the same...fun, ain't it?

What I get out of doing that is other people's perspectives and opinions.
I'm not understanding...care to clarify?

Certainly you don't think I am posting in the hopes that the Live 8 group will read this, see the error of their ways, and bend to my will, do you?
You ARE the omnipotent Archenemy...!

Some of you people are complete idiots. A lot of the stars are awesome people that contribute a ton to causes. Bono from U2 has to be one of the best people in this world when it comes to getting a message out and doing what he can. Shut your pieholes if you don't know what you are talking about because I bet the majority of those performers will do more for the world than you ever will.

Some of you people are complete idiots. A lot of the stars are awesome people that contribute a ton to causes. Bono from U2 has to be one of the best people in this world when it comes to getting a message out and doing what he can. Shut your pieholes if you don't know what you are talking about because I bet the majority of those performers will do more for the world than you ever will.

The purpose of holding the simultaneous concerts around the world, besides giving a shot in the arm to the careers of several dozen aging pop stars, was to “raise awareness” of poverty in Africa. And what are we to do with all this newfound awareness? Did the concerts actually raise any money? No. Did all that concentrated brainpower come up with a solution to world hunger? No. Did they at least tell those who might want to make a donation to some worthy charity where to send the money? No. So what was the point? So they can have people say that these stars do more for the world than regular folks?