Buck Mt.?

Jens

Anybody mess around on the North Side of Buck Mt.?

A cartographer report lists it's north aspect as one of the greatest vertical reliefs in the state. It's got some huge walls above glacier ice but the Beckey book calls the rock quality some of the worst around. Anybody have experience on the peak or photos of the North aspect? Anyone make any exploratory attempts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake, your "current" pic is of the E. Face above King Lake.

See my Buck Mountain page on summitpost for photos of the N. Face. And maybe ask Berdinka for some beta as he was researching an approach to it (with beta I supplied to him). But maybe it's his secret project so he won't. grin.gif

ALL YOU NEED TO SEE!

I just went backpacking up yonder to Buck Creek Pass. Beautiful place! The north face is not as steep as it looks in the above photo, though still worthy in the right conditions.

The face certainly looks like shit for rock climbing however the NE Arete (left edge of photo) is huge (2000' tall) easily accessed from King Lake and only looks sorta chossy. Somebody should definitely go climb it. I think Fred had dissed it but you really got to take his opinion with a grain of salt when it comes to unclimbed lines.

Good luck!

It starts out paved for eight or nine miles then goes to good gravel with occassional potholes for a couple of miles until the trailhead for Basalt Peak. From there the road turns to more dirt and less gravel but with some gravel stretches. The dirt part is wobbly and rutted with some jutting rocks but should be okay for your car. There are also hidden bends and dips that sneak up on you. Later, the road goes back to gravel. The final two miles up to Phelps Creek TH is worse (more rutted and rocky) than the final mile to Trinity. You may not like the Phelps spur. Trinity should be okay (flatter).

2wd low-clearance should have no troubles getting to Trinity. Every winter there is typically enough snow on the ground so that there is a big snowpark right at the Fish Lake turnoff, leaving 24 miles to Trinity then another 4 mile approach on good trail. With a snow mobile getting into that face would be pretty darn casual.