Baker routes

mtn_mouse

I climbed Baker many years ago, by the coleman glacier and the roman wall. Friends and I are planning it again ,but by the easten glacier. Is the route I took the coleman/deming route? and also, does the easton route end up right about the same place on the upper mountain, or is it an entirely different route??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I vaguely remember going up close to the crater before heading up the roman wall when I climbed the Easton 10yrs ago. I guess it's kind of a semantic issue - if you want to climb the Easton to the main summit, I'm pretty sure you'll go up the roman wall, but perhaps the "Easton route" technically ends on a lower summit.

Yeah, I vaguely remember going up close to the crater before heading up the roman wall when I climbed the Easton 10yrs ago. I guess it's kind of a semantic issue - if you want to climb the Easton to the main summit, I'm pretty sure you'll go up the roman wall, but perhaps the "Easton route" technically ends on a lower summit.

If you're going to the true summit, then both routes share the same final snow slope to the summit. On the C-D route, you'll be on the left hand side of that slope while you climb to the summit. On the Easton route, you'll be on the right hand side (getting on it after passing the crater rim).

The Coleman-Deming heads up the Roman Wall, while the Easton gains the summit plateau further to the East, with (typically) an ascending rigtwards traverse up a final steep (and crevassed!) slope. Both routes are summit routes. HTH! Alex

The Coleman-Deming goes up the Roman Wall above the Pumice Ridge, whereas the Easton goes up the Roman Wall above the crater. The entire upper slope of both routes is known collectively as the Roman Wall.

Jason

Good to know.

Hey mouse, it's only ok to wear shorts over Polypro if you tie them to your essentials.

One other note to the route thing. If you do the C-D late season it gets pretty icy on the wall. It sometimes easier to traverse from the top of the pumice ridge and finish via the Easton. Of course if it's that bad there is usually some pretty big openings in the traverse too.

Our party went up Sherman on 5/12 via the Squak, just East of the Easton. Squak is a bit more direct and has fewer crevasses. We saw one party of two climbers head toward the summit from the Easton, then inexplicably turn around shortly after. Could be they ran into a maze of impassable crevasses at Coleman Saddle but this seems unlikely. From Sherman the upper C-D route was a smooth line with no obstacles at all on the Roman Wall, I mean East of the Roman Wall, I mean West of the Crater, I mean... madgo_ron.gifboxing_smiley.gif