Pipe(line) Dream

inacan

The classic solution is a #6 Camalot (formerly #5) stacked against a piece of 2X6.
that photo is a joke, and it will not work...

The 2x6 deal looks a bit shaky. I can split those things with a dead blow from a 14oz hammer...

It should work fine considering the nature of wood to allow its conformity to other surfaces under compression. Your objection (rightly so) is to the proclivity of wood to fracture along its grain. A piece of LVL (laminated veneer lumber) may be the solution. LVL is 1 3/4" thick, has no fracture weakness (no continuous grain), and will conform to surfaces under compression; weight your placements to set them. Worth a try.

You're not gonna need the pro anyway... you're gonna send the thing (once your psyche is assuaged by the effectiveness of the pro, it's all a head game anyway, eh?), and then chide yourself for the mental torture you put yourself through beforehand.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found that web site referred to earlier and it's definitely worth a look. It's very funny and has some good stuff including an ass-hand stack and pictures of injuries. The guy got his RP and then went back the next day and did it again for pictures! He's skinny too and couldn't get clear in for much of the crack. Cameron must be tiny to have gotten in. Go get it RuMR! hahaha.gif

I just found that web site referred to earlier and it's definitely worth a look. It's very funny and has some good stuff including an ass-hand stack and pictures of injuries. The guy got his RP and then went back the next day and did it again for pictures! He's skinny too and couldn't get clear in for much of the crack. Cameron must be tiny to have gotten in. Go get it RuMR! hahaha.gif

Whatever you do, don't post the URL to that site

DRU, whats your take on the wood thing, everyone has seen the guide ad of the guy using that technique, hes also climbing wit wool socks?? Someone who knows hime told me it was a joke, I cant see it working, maybe with 2 peices of wood one on either side?

We tried that with a #4 Camalot and a chunk of 2x4 once and it will hold, but you need both hands to place it. I think there's a pic of this technique in Yosemite Climber, on Excalibur?

it works more or less the same as nailing a bong in stacked against a chunk of wood will, in that it will hold you to rest on, but who the hell knows how strong it is if you fall

I led the hollow flake on the Salathe. One number 5 camalot, one number 3 big bro, one number 4 big bro.

You're all by yourself with 1000 feet of air beneath your heels. The belayer is out of site around the corner. It's not a clean fall, depending on your gear you could hit the rubble filled bottom of the chimney or glance off the slab below. The 5 cam was useless, it got left 5 feet off the bottom. The number 3 big bro was walked up the 30 to 40 feet of the vertical crux section and left at the top where it starts to ease off. The number 4 right after that.

TOTAL aerobics. You can maintain position but upward mobility is difficult. Big bros are hard to walk, and it takes several long seconds, up to half a minute depending on the rock, before it's protecting you again. They are also hard to place, practice and learn before a hard lead.

Practice an offwidth chimney if you can find one down low, sometimes architecture has them, it's very technique dependent. I was thinking about building an adjustable offwidth training chimney just to hone technique, if I ever get some spare time.