For all you French-haters

chucK

Today is Cinco De Mayo, the day when Mexican soldiers and militia, outnumbered 2-1, kicked France's butt!!!

They did it while the US was embroiled in our civil war, possibly saving our butts! (although you might see this a bit differently if you're a confederate sympathizer).

Fascinating stuff. Search "cinco de mayo" on Google.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What if we hate the mexicans too?

Then I guess you would be celebrating September 13th, where in 1847 six military cadets died trying to defend Chapultepec Castle in Mexico city from the invading American Military. Legend has it that Juan Escuita wrapped himself in the Mexican flag and jumped to his death to prevent the flag from being captured by the enemy. He was 20 years old. Isn't America great? rolleyes.gif

Though in order to celebrate, you would have to ignore

Flexing its military muscle, the United States overpowered Mexico in the 1846-48 war which was denounced by Ulysses S. Grant as "one of the most unjust (wars) ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation."
http://www.mexicofile.com/thebrave.htm

For more reading, you can click on the google translation of some of the sites that show up here

Then I guess you would be celebrating September 13th, where in 1847 six military cadets died trying to defend Chapultepec Castle in Mexico city from the invading American Military. Legend has it that Juan Escuita wrapped himself in the Mexican flag and jumped to his death to prevent the flag from being captured by the enemy. He was 20 years old. Isn't America great?

We learned all about that in grade school in Mexico, but never in my US history classes here. I've been to that castle a bunch of times, it's a cool place that doesn't forget its history thumbs_up.gif.