Elliot Headwall?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed it last November. HW was mostly crust over soft snow. Luckily, I came down safe - an hour later a big avi came down the HW. Keep it to the left on the HW - the upper burgshrug is much smaller there. Good luck! It is the most beautiful route on Hood.

Forecast calls for dry weather with freezing levels between 6000 and 8000 feet for most of the week. Based on that info, I guess conditions on the north side of the mountain should be quite good this weekend. Keep an eye on the telemetry data and avi forecast all week and use that to estimate conditions.

Was on top a week or so ago and looked down the N. Side. Everything looks pretty well covered, so w/ good freezing at night it should be in good shape.

It's pretty efficient to start N. face climbs from Timberline this time of year. It's "only" 3 miles to Cooper spur. For doing the Elliot the only drawback might be losing vert to get down there.

On the approach to N side climbs . . .

My pal and I climbed the Coe about 5 weeks back. We approached from Cooper Spur ski area. Although it might seem longer, it took us just over an hour to get to the Tilly Jane A frame, at a moderate pace. We stashed some gear and water there too. Accessing Mt. Hood north side routes from CS ski area is a reasonable option, and only adds 2K and a bit of time to the ascent. (Remember that before Timberline Lodge was built in the 30's, all Hood South Side climbs started from Govt. Camp. This added a similar mileage and vertical (about 2 miles and 2K feet) onto the route, which was routinely done in a day by many folks with a lot more primitive gear than we enjoy today.) So, next time you grumble about starting at 4K feet, recall these sturdy climbers who did it all the time.