The Great Waterproof/Breathable Debate!

bonathanjarrett

The one time I tried it, after reading Beyond Backpacking I was astonished how well it worked -- it keeps the rain off you, and there's no ventillation problem. The only issue, of course, is that it's tough to hold an umbrella if you're using an ice axe or trecking poles.

It is also pretty tough to use when it's windy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to solicit opinions on the merits of waterproof/breathable fabrics from my fellow climbers. Lay it out: Gore-Tex, competing laminates, DWR, umbrellas. What do people think? Have we been swindled into believing that Gore-Tex and the like are the pinnacle of weather protection?

Relax, it's all bullshit. If it rains long enough or you sweat you will get wet. Get pit zips.

I have one Gore Tex thing that I think works really well. It's a Feathered Friends down sleeping bag. the Gore Tex outer does a good job of keeping dew, frost & even mist out away from the feathers when I'm not in a tent or something. I was skeptical when I bought it but I'm a believer now.

As far as clothing I agree with what's been said here that if you're working hard nothing will breathe adequately AND keep the rain out. My 'work' rain gear (thousand pound Grundens) does the best job of keeping me dry but it's way to heavy for mountain use. Second choice is Patagucci Dimension (?) soft shell thing: works pretty well even in your basic downpour. Last choice in the current arsenal is Marmot PreCip. Bought it for biking; it's OK on the flat and descending, but pit zips or no, it's a fucking Turkish bath on the climbs. Nice and light though, wads up pretty small.

If you're just walking a poncho is pretty hard to beat.

Ever raise your arm while hiking? Water rolls down the sleeve into the armpit. My pit zips start and end well away from the protected area directly under my arm.

Yes, that is a problem. Even worse is when you are staring up at the sky and your mouth fills up with water. I've nearly drowned.

I have a not-too-expensive MEC XCR jacket that has been great for me. Really bomber and plenty breathable enough for even hard work like skinning up the hill. It's my best friend when weight is not an issue.

Then there is my OR Paclite jacket. I like it a lot, especially since it has a great narrow cut that make me forgive it for not being very breathable. It's pretty light and very compactable and has a nice hood design. If I want to stay dry and won't be working too hard, this one is great.

Then I have the three ounce windshirt with DWR. It's great for hiking in the rain so long as there is no stopping involved. Long as you are moving, those can keep you dry.

I like softshells but the windproofness is not all that rockin' and they do wet out from time to time. I like how comfy they are.

At higher elevations I always carry the hard shell, even if I don't plan to use it. But for just hiking I use a silicone nylon poncho. It is long enough to cover me and the pack, and it vents very well.

I tried a plastic poncho first; it worked well but only lasted one trip.

It seems from reading everyone's posts that almost everyone owns a hardshell jacket with some sort of waterproof breathable fabric. However it also seems like many people are either not entirely satisfied with the performance or bring it yet rarely ever put the thing on. Why is that? Have we been duped into thinking that we have to carry a hardshell? Surely there must be a better solution out there. It is surprising that owners of Gore-Tex haven't risen up in revolt, because G-Tex's claim that it is "guarenteed to keep you dry" is misleading at best. Read the FAQ on their website. Their claim states that, "No liquid from the outside will get to you on the inside".

I have a MtnHardwear Epic Jacket, made out of their proprietary wp/b fabric. It works every bit as good (actually alot better) than my Marmot Gore-Tex jacket, and it weighs well under a pound, so not alot of dead weight in the pack. If I am expecting bad weather, I bring it. If the weather forecast looks good, I only bring softshell and suffer the consequences if it turns bad (which never happens in CO). however, my recent move to the "evergreen" state may force me to reconsider.