Naughty little (rich) rock climber wife...

Fairweather

Which one of you guys is responsible for this.....

Wife Cheats on Husband, Gets $40M in Divorce

Friday, March 25, 2005

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A judge has awarded the former wife of a multimillionaire businessman a divorce settlement worth more than $40 million even though she admitted having affairs with her rock-climbing guide and a man she met on a flight to China.

In addition to a $24 million payment, Susan Sosin will keep the couple's $3.6 million Manhattan apartment, $2 million Utah ski house and $800,000 home in Wallkill, N.Y. . But she has to vacate the couple's two mansions in Connecticut and three desert properties in Arizona.

In the divorce granted Wednesday, she also gets to keep $6 million in her brokerage accounts, eight cars and $2.9 million in jewelry, including a ruby piece her husband had bought for her but hadn't given to her prior to their divorce.

Richard Albrecht, attorney for Sosin's husband, Howard, estimated the total value of the award at $43 million, or 27 percent of the estate. She wanted half, he said.

"My opinion is her conduct in this matter affected the award," Albrecht said.

Susan Sosin's lawyer, Frederic J. Siegel, estimated the total value of the award was about $45 million and said his client asked for about 45 percent of the estate.

"By anybody's standards, it's a large amount of money," Siegel said. "Both parties will be able to move on with their lives."

Siegel said both sides were at fault for the divorce and defended his client as a good mother.

Howard Sosin, 54, who founded AIG Financial Products in 1987, filed for divorce after discovering his wife's relationships in February 2003. During an upgrade of their computer system, he found hundreds of e-mails between his wife and her lover, according to testimony.

Susan Sosin, 51, admitted in testimony that she had become intimate with a guide while rock climbing in 1996, though she said it was a spontaneous and isolated occurrence. During a flight to China in 2000, she met a married man, and that led to a lengthy affair, according to testimony.

"The parties' marriage has been undeniably marred by the defendant's infidelity," Superior Court Judge Howard Owens stated in his verdict. "Although her sexual relationship was not the sole cause of the breakdown, it did effectively terminate the marriage."

Howard Sosin's wealth was estimated at $168 million. Among the assets he gets to keep are $89 million in bank accounts, 10 of the couple's 18 cars, $960,000 worth of private club memberships and $22 million in fine art.

The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.

Howard Sosin served as the president and chief operating officer of AIG Financial Products until 1993 when he left the company. Following litigation, he received $182 million from AIG.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.

This could have been a tip of to what he was getting himself into. He should have got the prenup agreement. Where prenups very common in 1978?

This thread has by far the more descriptive Subject Line.

Yes it does for the unimaginative wave.gif

If you want to learn something about the real world Fairweather you can come over and help me bolt my house to the foundation...I love my crawl space. cantfocus.gif

I already did it....about 4 months after the Nisqually Quake. Changed all of my drain pipe from 1 1/2 inch galvenized to 2 inch ABS while I was down there too. My crawl space isn't too bad, but I can't stand breathing loose insulation so I 'll admit to wearing one of those girlie paper masks. What took you so long to get with it?? I thought crawling around on your belly, on black plastic, in dark places was something you did most every weekend? the_finger.gif

If you want to learn something about the real world Fairweather you can come over and help me bolt my house to the foundation...I love my crawl space. cantfocus.gif
Like Fairweather, I did the same job shortly after the Nisqually Quake. The degree of nastiness is entirely a function of whether one can sit up or not. Fortunately, I could in this case.

I actually had a few support posts fall over beneath our house too. After the quake I noticed several soft spots on my floor and discovered that our hardwood floors had separated in places up to 1/8". Had to get a big bottle jack and lift the joists to get the posts back in place before clamping them. A couple of the cinder blocks are still tilted, but I simply bolted the posts in place anyway. Crawl space digging sucks. Whoever built our place had the foresight to put chain lightbulbs in the crawl space in two locations. Sweet.

My dad's place in Steilacoom - only about four miles from the epicenter - had its chimney collapse. That quake was sure a wake-up call.

But exactly what does any of this have to do with Alpine K's lurid practice of crawling, face down, on greased black plastic in a dark crawl space or 'social club' on most weekends?

Like Fairweather, I did the same job shortly after the Nisqually Quake. The degree of nastiness is entirely a function of whether one can sit up or not. Fortunately, I could in this case.

You gotta crawl under my house; plus there a beams that you need to squeeze under.

Don't worry F I've spent a lot of time under my house in the year I've owned it.

You should call the inspector that your realtor/broker hired when you were making your purchase. Code requires at least 18" of crawl in all locations beneath your house.

Also, I've found that a 24oz can of Budweiser, consumed before going down there, makes things go much smoother...and the spiders don't seem to be as mean.

You should call the inspector that your realtor/broker hired when you were making your purchase. Code requires at least 18" of crawl in all locations beneath your house.

...if, of course, your house was built since the code took effect.

Once back in the day I accepted a New York Strip dinner for two as payment for unplugging the drain line running from the second floor showers at the Bush House here in Tiny-Town. It involved two supertight belly crawls under beams, and then sort of curling up in a masive snarl of (hot, natch)unsecured Romex and undoing a plug aimed to drench me completely in used shower-water. shocked.gif

I think the arrangement met 1899 code; it was not the easiest way to a steak dinner, and it certainly had nothing to do with rich divorcees.

My house was built in 1955, but I was told there was no grandfather clause for crawl space. The last house my wife and I sold didn't meet this code and we spent a week digging/scraping dirt onto a tarp and dragging it out through the access as a condition of sale to the new owners. Of course, it was more of a buyer's market back then.

On topic: I wonder what this rich devorcee looks like. Any pics to be had?

On topic: I wonder what this rich devorcee looks like. Any pics to be had?

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Emerging from the cramped and Stygian darkness of the Bush House crawl space to widespread acclaim and gratitude I was able to renegotiate my benefit package to include a hot shower, a couple of drinks....and.... a third floor quickie. While this may be a bit too much information, it also brings my post much more closely into line with the original thread topic.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Emerging from the cramped and Stygian darkness of the Bush House crawl space to widespread acclaim and gratitude I was able to renegotiate my benefit package to include a hot shower, a couple of drinks....and.... a third floor quickie. While this may be a bit too much information, it also brings my post much more closely into line with the original thread topic.

thumbs_up.gif