Rabbit Runners

darstog

Does anybody have much experience with Rabbit Runners?

trango rabbit runners

A friend of mine had one that I used and loved on a climb at squamish, but I never ran across any more until the other day. Trango gives a warning that "Be careful: because they’re not a sewn loop, the strength of the extended sling is only 12kN!"

But if you're generating more than 12kN on a fall you've got a lot more problems than your rabbit runner popping, right? And can you think of a practical situation where you'd generate 12kN on the sling and not on the pro?

I think for rock and alpine stuff they'd be great, no? A lot less to deal with than loop after loop of sewn runner.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one that I use a lot for slinging trees, bushes, horns, icicles, equalizing belays, etc. Quite a utilitarian piece. They're 24kn if you clip both loops. They're easy to take off when clipped over the shoulder too, one handed w/o having to pull it over your head. A definate bonus for those sketchy and balancy stances. thumbs_up.gif

I'm not a big fan.

I used to use them, but in general there really is no advantage. Sometimes they are easier to get on and off your body, you just unclip them, but in general my runners are tripled in alpine draws anyways.

They are cool for trees, but I usually girth hitch trees anyways.

plus they are a little too short for my torso. They fit a bit tight when I had a jacket on.

However though, I use a Rabbit Runner Style Cordellette for belays and I love it. I made it out of tubular webbing which I can cut up for rap slings if needed.

I have a homemade one that I've used and it's great for certain things like girth hitching trees, blocks, etc. If you have a big tree you may have to girth hitch several slings together to reach around the tree whereas a single rabbit runner has a lot more "useable length" because it isn't doubled up... I didn't explain that very well, but if you've used one, you know what I mean. Basically I think one rabbit runner will often do a job that would require a double length sling or a couple single length slings.

I don't see why clipping one versus two loops would make a difference on the strength rating. confused.gif

Trippled alpine draws? What the fuck are you climbing Bill? Are you tying off old growth giant seqoia??!!!?

For a nice consolidated rack and ease of removal w/a pack on the rabbit runners (i use metolius) are the way to go! Good for slinging icicles on lead, extending a piece for a large travrse, rock horns, roots and branches.

Keep the bail shit seperate in you pack. Have the rack useful for the climb, not the bail.

I don't get it: a rabbit runner is not better than a 48" (double) sling, and probably weighs as much when one looks at the Mammut. You can wear the double sling exactly the way you wear the rabbit runner (two biners, clipped into each other after looping the sling on you) and get it off the same wayl, pack or not... If anything it's shorter than the double length sling.

drC

LOL Layton.

You know what I mean. Single runner on two biners draw style.

My cordellete doubles as bail slings. I think a lot of folks do that. No need to keep in pack. It's also long enough to wrap around a seqoia. wink.gif

I wish they made the rabbit runners a few inches longer so beefy guys like me could wear them.

clipping one loop means the entire load would be on one strand, clipping both loops would means the load would be carried by both strands.

Sorry, I still don't get it. Lets say you girth hitch the thing around a tree. The loop that you threaded the runner through is getting weighted just as much as the other loop (ignoring friction around the tree in this hypothetical case). I don't see how that is any different than throwing the runner around the tree and clipping both loops.

You are probably right, but I'm dumb.

Alpinfox, what they mean is that if you use the rabbit runner from end to end as a line (irregardless of whether that line bends or not), for example to extend an anchor etc. it's single strength (because you have a single strand being loaded). If you turn it into a loop, then that loop becomes full strength.

drC