Austin Texas climbing

John Frieh

Headed to Texas first week in March; looking for climbing area suggestions. Specifically I have a 2 day weekend, free rental car and inexperience newbie partner at my disposal. Additionally I have the whole week to get into trouble in the evenings. What are…

-some good sport/bouldering areas I could check out with a newbie (preferable ample amounts of easy clip ups) over the weekend.

- some good bouldering areas close to Austin I could hit after 5 pm?

- some local “venues of interest wink.gif” worth scoping… the closer to Austin the better.

- finally does anyone have a climbing contact (preferable with a trad rack) that would be interested in showing me around/climbing trad near Austin? wave.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck nols, When I was there in oct last I did some small stuff (second on Rimers) also there was a wall at the river that I will have to look for the name. But the climbers that I talked with looked at me like I was from mars when I suggested multipitch or trad in the same sentance as local smirk.gif Fun climbing though and the folks on texasclimbers were cool.

All short clips limestone at Rimers and the G-belt but still fun. Enchanted rock good, longer stuff. Gotta stop at the brewery in Fredricksburg on the way out and grab 'a beer to go', seriously.

If you have time go to Trudys central (restaraunt/bar) and look up Chris Keesler, should be bartending, he'll climb with you, knows everything to know about E-rock, good trad/crack climber...and have a Mexican Martini while there.

It's been a long while, but let a former resident chime in.grin.gif

This might be totally outdated information, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I don't know if these guys are even still alive, much less living in Austin, but here goes...

I used to work at Whole Earth Provision Company and they know who the best climbers are and how to get in touch with them. Ask if Keith Guillory still works there, and if they know how to get in touch with James Crump.

And Enchanted Rock is definietly worth the trip out there. No big multipitch routes, but probably the longest and most interesting you'll find. Great pink granite and killer views of the Hill Country. James Crump wrote the guidebook for it, if it is still in print.

Good luck! smile.gif

I vote for new wall and gus fruh at the greenbelt...

Also, Chewy's for mexican food. Kerby Lane for great burgers. and there is a great breakfast place pretty close to the New Wall, meet the flintstones is a fun 5.9. For bouldering, temple/belton is within about an hour... have fun!

If you go to reimer's you gotta climb t-roofic detour - super fun .10a jug haul... and if you are up for it 'liposuction' in the sex cave .12a... i think!