[TR] Mt. Hood- Crater Rock & Dog Route 1/30/2005

ivan

Climb: Mt. Hood-Crater Rock & Dog Route

Date of Climb: 1/30/2005

Trip Report:

thought i'd work on my slogging skills sunday instead of pulling tuff.

shamefully easy conditions for a winter ascent. lower mountain is very bare. above palmer lifts the track varies from wind-blasted ice/rock to deep powder - made sticking to the moraine key. climbed crater rock 'cuz it's there - enjoyable rime climbing on the eastern side. neat views down into the fumarole and the hog's back - don't think folks go up there too often.

broke trail up to the pearly gates. saw a horde of folks a ways behind me and figured i'd go a non-standard way up from there so as to avoid downclimbing through the bumblies, only to find they all followed me anyway...got to come down a virginal pearly gate slope then which made me understand why some might like to ski it.

ran into 2 blokes on the summit who'd just climbed the left gully of the north face after camping by the cooper spur. they reported excellent neve snow the whole way, w/ the lower ice-step completely covered and the upper step quite enjoyable. felt jealous - i need more friends so i can stop soloing bullshit (or alternatly, more practice at lying to my wife).

again, so little snow up high! saw punchthroughs into the 'schrund on the way down. crevasses and seracs very apparent down on the elliot and coe.

thrasador's dog was in attendance on the hogsback again verfying the proper name for the route. relatively small crowd for such a perfectly sunny day - passed about a dozen people or so on the way back to beerland.

word for the day: crepuscant

tunes for the day: flogging molly

Approach Notes:

snow is super-suck deep & soft down by t-line - to my balls in places. best for early start on the ski-slopes. i need to learn how to ski for the way down.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still have those skis whenever you want to get started on that learning curve. You'll need bindings and boots though.

Sounds like it was a fun day. You climbed the east side of crater rock? The west side has an interesting--if easy--ice/neve flow on the west side.

Ivan - We crossed paths with you briefly on your descent as we were entering your nice little gully. Just one of the many slow parties following in your tracks... (Thanks again for breaking trail, by the way)

We'd started out for Wy'East, but bailed just entering the White River Glacier. We dug a snow pit and found 3 or 4 nice-sized slabs just waiting to go and punched through the 8 inches or so covering several small crevasses. That was enough for us, so back to the South Slog we went. Beautiful day for it, though.

It's been several years since I last did Wy'East, but it'll have to wait a little longer.

So that is you with the Yellow Lab. I was with a Ski Mountaineering class who passed you on our way to the top of palmer. It was a great day, shorts and light synth. Wish I could have made it the summit. Seem like it would have have been great conditions to ski the Hogs Back from the Pearly Gates. Given what we found for Avi I would not have done West Crater Rim. Too bad I for got to pack my Hawiian shirt cantfocus.gif

Sunday sure was a pleasant surprise:

2135hood13005.jpg

There was some fun snow and not nearly as many folks as we'd expected:

2135hood3007.jpg

We ran into singing ivan:

2135hood13006.jpg

The snow was unusually consistent all the way to the car:

2135hood3008.jpg

Either I need glasses or my camera was acting up? fruit.gif

Sweet photos, Thrash! I particularly like the first one and the shot of ivan. But that second picture...Am I seeing things or did you photoshop a monster-dog into it? cantfocus.gif

So that is you with the Yellow Lab. I was with a Ski Mountaineering class who passed you on our way to the top of palmer. It was a great day, shorts and light synth.

Yeah! That was my wife and I... and Noah the Weather Dog!

After you passed us - we lost sight of you. Guess you headed towards I-Rock? Was that a mazamas class? Any good... or just obvious stuff?

434427-Supernoah2.jpg.2b92cb81a9149772b25c655094ed6c62.jpg

So this dogs bring the sunshine, you know where I can get one of those grin.gif We went over towards I-Rock. Stopped short and tried to keep tracks off the groomers till T-line. It was a Mazama class. A lot of basic/obvious stuff, but they really hammer Avi safty, and reading the terrain.