Dru

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Fence Sitter:

malamute isn't it? isnt that area closed? ahem?
[big Grin]

Um... kind of?

The Squamish Rockclimbers Association (SRA) had asked for a voluntary closure this summer in order to shaow good faith while negotiating an access plan with BC Rail.

As it stands now the SRA closure is off due to no response from BCR. BCR still considers the area closed. A track maintenance crew told some climbers that if the BCR police found them there, they would get tickets. It is BCR land and they can do it.

The SRA is asking climbers who do choose to climb there to be especially good about the train ettiquette, and to be familiar with the access plan, and try to stick to the spirit of it. There is a copy at Valhalla Pure in Squamish if you want to see it. And you can say hi to me if I'm there.

I don't speak for the SRA, I just know them all.

The Upper Malamute, where that climb is, is all open.

[ 10-22-2002, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

CASBC (climbers access society of B.C.) is working on access. After climbing there a few times I can see the potential. Plus I like it better than a few other popular spots. I decided to join the CASBC in hopes my money will let me legally climb on the lower half in the future... I don't recommend monkeywrenching [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Fence Sitter:

its just the lower malamute right? then i would think it is jsut an access issue... they are jsut worried that climbers will get hit by a train or something i suppose...ridiculous that they even have to worry about soemthing like that...but hey sign of the times... sweet picture by the way...

Just lower, yes. You should see some of the things people do. There is one climb that the train would wipe you right off if you were unfortunate enough to be on it at the wrong time [Eek!]