[TR] Oregon Gorge- Crown Jewel 1/17/2005

Crackman

Climb: Oregon Gorge-Crown Jewel

Date of Climb: 1/17/2005

Trip Report:

Headed out to the gorge Monday afternoon to check out the ice conditions. Since the recent cold snap was barely below freezing and rather short, my expectations were pretty low. However after a couple of day being stuck at home thanks to the ice storm, I was ready to get out and take a look.

Then there it was - the Crown Jewel. Maybe not much of a sight for those lucky enough to live where there are multitudes of great climbs to choose from, year in and year out. However, given the elusive nature of Oregon water ice, it was a beautiful sight to behold.

Surprisingly no one else was around. The wind calmed down to almost nothing at the base of the climb. The ice was in great shape, fat and wet. Everything surpassing my expectations. I started up, planning only to boulder as high as felt comfortable. The climbing was so enjoyable and solid I never stopped.

Don't know how much longer it's going to last. I'd recommend calling in sick tomorrow.

Base of Climb

2072Crown_Jewel1_1-17-2005-med.JPG

Close-Up Mid-route

2072Crown_Jewel3_1-17-2005-med.JPG

Self portrait

2072Crown_Jewel5_1-17-2005-med.JPG

Looking back - End of the route

2072Crown_Jewel6_1-17-2005-med.JPG

One last shot on the way home

2072Crown_Jewel7_1-17-2005-med.JPG

Gear Notes:

2 tools

Lots of coffee

Forgot helmet - shame on me

Edited by Crackman

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, Crackman...Nice job. I drove home from PDX at Oh dark thirty Monday morning and passed that area when it was too dark to see. ( I did not have my tools anyway) The gorge east of The Dalles had more climb-able runnels formed then I have ever seen. I was kicking myself all the way home for not bring gear.

And...FWIW the ice out in the Wallowas, which was fattening up nicely is melting as I write this. cry.gifwazzup.gif