korup

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looks like a non-retrievable wire anchor. I would be skeptical as to the wire shearing through the ice vs. softer perlon. a 22-17cm screw works fine, and you should have all your gear on you if you are rapping anyway. uttery useless except in high angle ice rigging.

If you were gonna top rope, i would hope to god you TR off of ice screws instead of a v-thread!

STUPID STUPID STUPID

many stores sell a tricked out "coat hanger" v-threader that is a flexible wire with a "fish hook" on the end w/a protective rubber cap. Works way better than a coat hanger or bailing wire. but that instead.

'Looks more to me like you use the wire thingy to thread a piece of cord through the hole you've just drilled, then tie it off. Just like a regular V-thread. Interesting that they appraently used it to anchor subs; I wonder if komrade Abalakov was in the Navy?

I don't think the wire in that thing is supposed to be left, it looks kind of like you thread a cord through it and just use the swaged wire thingy to make it easier to fish out the other side. You still just end up with a piece of perlon or whatever through there.

I agree that the Candela kicks ass, but it won't work on a 30 cm hole like the Russian drill makes. Doesn't seem useful to me either except for rescue work and stuff as it says. But the Russians are known to do wierd things during competitions and club practices that might need something like that.

Mike,

I'm not sure why you don't like the V-thread idea of using them for toproping. Time an Time again th V-thread has proved stronger and less likely to melt out under pressure and UV heat than ice srews. This is assuming folks would use them as part of an equalized anchor and be running the rope through metal not any cordage.

During comps we use them for fixed pro as they are much stronger and more reliable then srews. Of course you have to place them in good ice, which you would a screw anyways.

my 2 cents.

dale bigdrink.gif