Birdbrain Boulevard

Climzalot

Anybody ever climb it? Seems as though I have heard pretty mixed feedback as to the difficulty. As with any thin/mixed route I am sure the difficulty varies with ice conditions. What's the concensus? Pretty freakin hard and scary, or mostly doable by mere mortals? Is the protection reasonable with the right gear?

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just climbed the route recently.

It is in "good" shape. Take more pins then listed and a #4 camalot is very nice.

Be prepared for runouts on thin ice above questionable gear. Only used about 8 srew placements on the whole route. Many blades were used!!!

I love this route- One of the best of its kind in North America!!!!

cheers,

dale

Nice Daler. Thanks for the update. Good info on the #4. I can't say I would have thought to bring that along. Sounds spicy to say the least. Hopefully what little ice there is doesn't go away or get chipped off in the next few weeks. In addition to a handful of small pitons, and #4 what other gear is useful? Will the usual small cams, nuts, and short screws get the job done?

Thanks again.

The route is super cool, I was able to do it last Sunday. Awsome long pitches. The climbing was only junky in a couple spots. Not as hard as I thought it would be, but still really cool. We didn't take enough pins though, only took three. Ranks up with the Talisman as my favorite ice/mixed route in Colorado.