• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Winter

Vintage REI Catalog

So this REI catalog from 1977 went all the way to Pittsburgh and back to Seattle with my mother before she just gave it to me. Unbelievably great pictures.

Knicker Hell

119REI3-med.jpg

Check out the mesh long underwear

119REI1-med.jpg

HOT swimsuit models

119REI2-med.jpg

I actually owned a pair of the Woolriche Knockers. Nowadays, I just roll up my pants so I can see my feet better, & get the "knicker" effect.

I remember a tent I bought from REI in 1972. It was cotton A frame, with a coated nylon floor, very narrow and low at one end & high at the other. Very cool. I think Tom Miller took a picture of a very similar model in the Picketts in the 1960s that appeared in a Harvey Manning "Freedom of the Hills" edition. Would love to see a complete collection of old catalogs. Does anybody remember the cotton, Sacs Millet?

---

Late reply on this one, but I am actually digging the Filson wool knickers on the left. Last I checked with Filsons they were only doing stuff in the wax coated 12 oz. "duck" cloth.

My father-in-law gave me a pair of vintage wool knickers a few years ago. They're actually great for XC skiing, but only if no one's around to point and laugh...

Iain, your fey spidey is creeping me out.

I think my wool knickers are up in the attic packed away with the cagoule and such.