Patagonia Micro Puff?

Dr_Crash

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an old Puffball and walked into the patagonia store with it on. It exuded a large amount of horror and disbelief that I could trash a jacket so badly that they took it from me and gave me a new one...now called the micro puff.

The micropuff, along with a dri-clime windshirt (whatever brand you choose for either) are almost essential articles of clothing in my climbing pack. I can get away with a micro puff and/or a dri-clime windshirt all summer long.

As for winter use, both are essential for me too. The dri-clime creates a micro-climate as my layer over my silkweight poly-pro and acts as a windproof high-exertion layer on approaches. The micro-puff is my warm climbing layer since it fills out dead airspaces under a hard or soft shell top. It is a much much better layer than fleece or wool since it is much warmer for the weight and packs down better too. On hot ice days, it stays in my pack, unnoticably light.

So basically the thing is the perfect weight to temp ratio. One could argue endlessly about the differences between types of insulation (polarguard delta in the patagonia...primaloft one in others...etc...).

Moonstone also makes what is called a lucid jacket which is a super duper lightweight down jacket that is a good deal warmer and lighter than the synthetic micro puff. I almost pro-dealed one until i got the hook-up with patagonia. Now, i'm glad i did, b/c i think it would've gotten soaked. I would rather have the lucid for summertime since it won't get wet and is lighter and warmer.

If you're buying to last, I'd go with the patagonia on all clothing items b/c you can return it easier than you can return shit at REI. the returnability is built into the price tag, which you may notice is much steeper, but worth it in the long run and you can buy it from anywhere and still return it.

-Mike

The Moonstone Cirrus is a similar jacket, but lighter, cheaper, and packs smaller than the Micro Puff. My Cirrus is my favorite layer, as it fits me like a glove, and can be either an outer layer or an inner layer. It is surprisingly warm, and gives a little extra padding for sleeping in on cold nights.

http://www.moonstone.com/d_ins.asp?id=084629

Nice. I can get one Patagonia for <$100, so the price is good for me. I like the only 12 oz of the Moonstone though.

drC

I had an old Puffball and walked into the patagonia store with it on. It exuded a large amount of horror and disbelief that I could trash a jacket so badly that they took it from me and gave me a new one...now called the micro puff.

The micropuff, along with a dri-clime windshirt (whatever brand you choose for either) are almost essential articles of clothing in my climbing pack. I can get away with a micro puff and/or a dri-clime windshirt all summer long.

As for winter use, both are essential for me too. The dri-clime creates a micro-climate as my layer over my silkweight poly-pro and acts as a windproof high-exertion layer on approaches. The micro-puff is my warm climbing layer since it fills out dead airspaces under a hard or soft shell top. It is a much much better layer than fleece or wool since it is much warmer for the weight and packs down better too. On hot ice days, it stays in my pack, unnoticably light.

So basically the thing is the perfect weight to temp ratio. One could argue endlessly about the differences between types of insulation (polarguard delta in the patagonia...primaloft one in others...etc...).

Moonstone also makes what is called a lucid jacket which is a super duper lightweight down jacket that is a good deal warmer and lighter than the synthetic micro puff. I almost pro-dealed one until i got the hook-up with patagonia. Now, i'm glad i did, b/c i think it would've gotten soaked. I would rather have the lucid for summertime since it won't get wet and is lighter and warmer.

If you're buying to last, I'd go with the patagonia on all clothing items b/c you can return it easier than you can return shit at REI. the returnability is built into the price tag, which you may notice is much steeper, but worth it in the long run and you can buy it from anywhere and still return it.

-Mike

That's a great story, Mike. You are the one, the only Patagonia Poster boy. Maybe you could get a job in product testing - no one can thrash their gear better than you! hahaha.gif

I have the micro puff pullover (12.5 oz) and so far I have been very pleased (I assume the jacket is the same thing except it has a hood). It offers incredible warmth for the weight and it packs down small in its own stuff sack which you can clip to your harness if necessary. I agree that the outer material is delicate, but I don't climb many squeeze chimneys with it on, and given Patagonia's return policy I wouldn't be too concerned.

I have the micro puff pullover ...... and it packs down small in its own stuff sack which you can clip to your harness if necessary.

I lost the stuff sack within' a couple days (sorry environment). I would like it to stuff inside it's own pockets (yeah i know, that's kina a gay feature) just so I can clip it to my harness when going sans pack on a mutipitch.

Here's what it looks like w/o a stuff sack:

136lucky_streaks_02-med.jpg

I own a Cirrus as well (older version, with Primaloft, and love it.

The older Cirruses actually are filled with Thermolite. At least the two I have are.

I look forward to replacing the jacket with a Montbell Thermawrap in the near future.

Yeah, a few years ago they did go to the Thermolite insulation. I have the older older version, circa 1998, with Primaloft.

I have the micro puff pullover ...... and it packs down small in its own stuff sack which you can clip to your harness if necessary.

I lost the stuff sack within' a couple days (sorry environment). I would like it to stuff inside it's own pockets (yeah i know, that's kina a gay feature) just so I can clip it to my harness when going sans pack on a mutipitch.

Here's what it looks like w/o a stuff sack:

136lucky_streaks_02-med.jpg

yellaf.gif That's an interesting way to rack your jacket! I would think that material would get thrashed quickly that way??

I would prefer that it would stuff into its own pocket as well because I just end up keeping the stuff sack in the breast pocket anyway.