READING LIST

erik

Guns, Germs etc is written by Jared Diamond, who is always worth reading for his slant on evolutionary biology.

Essay recs: Alexander Cockburn, Corruptions of Empire

Fiction recs: Life, A User's Manual, by Georges Perec. Pynchon -- Gravity's Rainbow.

Junk fiction recs: anything by Mark Leyner except his first novel.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple that should keep you busy for awhile:

Crime and Punishment - this may be the best nobel ever written. Daunting in size, it actually reads fairly quickly and I got through it in about 3 days in Africa and wanted more.

The Magus (John Fowles) - A tale of deception and mystery on a GreeK Isle during WWII ... this is a sleeper ... a great book that keep you interested. Enjoy.

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges

Nine Hundred Grandmothers - RA Lafferty

The Illuminatus Trilogy - RA Wilson and Rob Shea

Last Call - Tim Powers

Lyonesse - Jack Vance

The "New Sun" books - Gene Wolfe

The Man in the Tree - Damon Knight

Kingdoms of the Wall - Robert Silverberg

Colditz - PR Reid

Crying of Lot 49 - Tom Pynchon

Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami

Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol

Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand - Samuel R Delaney

Crock of Gold - James Stephens

Lo!/The Book Of The Damned/Strange Talents/New Lands - Charles Fort

Nana/Diva/Luna/Lola/Vida/Alba, 6 book series by Delacorta

Ubu Roi, Alfred Jarry

The Drunken Boat/A Season In Hell, Rimbaud

Nadja, Andre Breton

Bella Coola Man, Clayton Mack

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl

Tales of Power, Carlos Castaneda

Distraction, Bruce Sterling

David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

Space is the Place: The Lives and Times of Sun Ra - John F. Szwed

Bardo Thodol (Tibetan Book of the Dead) - author unknown

Antarctica - Kim Stanley Robinson

At the Mountains of Madness - HP Lovecraft

Ice - Ed McBain

The Fallen Man - Tony Hillerman

The Dispossessed - Ursula LeGuin

Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake

Chaos - James Gleick

Principia Discordia - Malaclypse the Younger

The Western Lands - William S Burroughs

This Game of Ghosts - Joe Simpson

Deep Play - Paul Pritchard

Prometheus Rising - Robert Anton Wilson

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Gargantua and Pantagruel - Rabelais

Don Quixote - Cervantes

A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare

Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny

Metropolitan/City on Fire - Walter J Williams

Never Cry Wolf - Farley Mowat

thats enough for now

PS I hated DeLillo's Underworld. ZZZZZZZZ! [sleep]

After going 0 for 2 on underworld and mao II i can think of many better ways to spend time than reading de lillo. So i will pass on white noise.

I forgot to mention, "Steal this Book" by Abbie Hoffmann. Great reading for dirtbags, also for security guards in malls.

quote:

Originally posted by bobinc:

So it appears true that, in fact, Canadians never "work" but instead lie around reading good literature and occasionally availing themselves of state-supported medical care (but rarely any need since very few smoke or drive given the high prices on tobacco and petrol).

I was raised without a TV, I learned to read when I was 3, sorry for the chestbeating but I read like 6 books a week. right now I am rereading "The Left Hand of Darkness" by UK le Guin.

Go Dru! I too was raised w/o a TV, which I see as a gift my parents gave us kids...we sure hated it at the time, mainly embarrassed lest our classmates know. Thank God my father turned down a local TV station's request to do a story on us for not owning one. Trying not to let my kids watch much either, but with twins it's almost impossible not to...sometimes we've gotta have the break.

Everyone's covered the literary front well in this list. For good perspective buy a copy of the Rand McNally World History Atlas. This atlas shows what was happening around the globe during different periods of time, has lots of supporting numerical data, and is fun to study a little at a time.

[rockband]

Hear, hear! for no TV! That shit is ruinous to the grey matter. Books (or periodicals, lately) and music, all the way!

The Doctor adds his support to the recommendations for Catch 22 (mind-bogglingly, pants-pissingly hilarious, yet also touching, poignant, and SCATHINGLY critical of war and the military -- brilliant), and most, but not all, of David Sedaris' work (try 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' and 'Naked', which both stand out. With Sedaris, you're almost better off going the books-on-tape route, as he has a distinctive voice which adds a lot to his work, and hearing him sing like Billie Holiday is worth the extra money).

Do any of you have any experience with any Charles Bukowski, and if so, do you have any of his stuff that you recommend? (The Doctor Predicts that Dru The Profusely Literate will have some insight here ...)

And if you're going the Russian route, don't forget Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' is a goodie, and not too long. For a denser but eye-opening read, book I of 'The Gulag Archipelago' is good, too. Seems that Stahlin had a thing for killing people off, resulting in a death toll rivaling (exceeding?) the Holocaust. DFA will buy you a beer if you can wade through the next two books, as DFA bogged down somewhere in book II and never recovered.

Too much experience with Bukowski. But a modest dose is advised, DFA:

Novels: Factotum, Post Office, Women

Poems: Love is a Dog From Hell

Short Stories: South of No North

Recently, Black Sparrow has published at least one or two books of his letters, as well, which are certainly worth a look.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

DFA - I'll take that beer. Gulag is easy try:A la Recherche Du Temps Perdu. Much more of a challenge. I'll let you know when I am at Smith.

[Eek!] Jumpin' jackrabbits! [Eek!]

You read all three? Maybe the Doctor's mistake was trying to read them back-to-back, but he got bored after a while. Although DFA got bogged down early on an attempt to read August 1914, too, so maybe the thick Russian lit just isn't for him.

What's this Frawnch business all about? Steep limestone or some such? [big Grin]

[ 09-23-2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]

Fiction:

Anything by E. Annie Proulx, John Steinbeck, E. Hemingway or Pam Houston.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving

I would like to weigh in that Tom Robbins blows goats. Pluse he doesn't write good female characters, and the only guy who can get away with that is that genius pig, David Mamet.

Non-Fiction:

In Sam We Trust-you'll never shop at Wal-Mart again

Fast Food Nation-you'll never look at a Big Mac the same way again

Brothel-you'll never look at your neighborhood cathouse the same way again

Nickel and Dimed-you'll never look at an underpaid service worker the same way again

Celebration-Disney does New Urbanism

Why Americans hate poor people-a little dry but a good follow up on Nickel and Dimed

Reading books about what they called 'social studies' in Junior High is of a particular interest to me.

Fast Food Nation, which the Doctor has started in on again, is causing him to want to burn a lot of stuff down, and of course grab numerous executive types by the lapels and smack them silly. Those bastards are pure evil. Unless he's at risk of starving to death, DFA shalln't be patronizing any more fast "food" joints.

[ 09-23-2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]