need new skiis, bindings, and boots

SnowByrd

Its (almost) time to go and buy a new pair of skiis. The last pair I bought are about 8 years old...pre shaped ski era for sure. I doubt the boots or bindings are worht anything anyways so I'm thinking 'send em to goodwill or the dumpster'.

I'm a beginning/intermediate downhill (as in groomed runs and chairlifts) skiier but I have a feeling that I will be expanding my horizons this year whether I like it or not.

I'm not really sure what ski mountaineering is all about and since I've never set foot on anything that didn't already have a name, should I look for the usual 'average priced downhill package' or is there something that will perform as well as a downhill package that might have a little more versatility? I'd like to actually be able to afford my lift tickets as well as my other adventures....so gear junkies, please keep that in mind when making recommendations.

Thanks! wave.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i recently scored boots on rei.com. they have a few prior year models in limited sizes that they are trying to offload.

i wasn't sure if your goal was to get a new downhill setup or move into a ski mountaineering (which would mostly likely mean AT) set up. you can use your downhill stuff for some ski mountaineering but you will discover very quickly that it sucks. you can't hike in downhill boots, and they are heavy as crap to lug up a mountain ... and you'll probably want snowshoes so you're not postholing like mad. the most versatile setup you could get would be AT (naxo or fritschi freeride) bindings that you could use with AT boots and downhill boots both at and away from the resorts. they will allow you the freedom of skinning with your buddies up mountains (instead of carrying your downhill boots and wearing snowshoes) but can also handle the rigors of inbounds skiing. they are not cheap but they will be versatile.

ps - i saw a pair of the regular fritschi bindings on clearance for $99 at rei downtown when i was there on wednesday night. those would probably work just as well for your level of skiing.

I'm in your situation as well, snowbyrd. I've got good apline stuff, bt i didn't particularly like hauling it up hood/st. helens etc. I think your options for being able to get up the mountain on skis are: Tele, Apline Touring/Randonee. I'm planning on taking the AT route here, but I havent seriously shopped around for gear yet. Any overall advice or specific recomended makes and models would be appreciated.

definitely go with randonee/AT.... if you're used to the fixed heel of downhill, telemark can be a pain (if at all possible/worthwhile) to learn. the AT ski setup is more spendy than downhill or tele, but it's worth it. if you want to save a few bucks, go with AT bindings/boots attached to downhill skis... main differences between them and AT skis is that downhill skiis are just a tad heavier, and they don't have that fancy hole in the front end for making the sled out of or whatever.

people say that "Randonee" is French for "can't tele"....

I say "Telemark" is French (or Norweigan maybe) for "knee-jerk nonconformist"

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

the AT ski setup is more spendy than downhill or tele

This used to be the case, but these days they are pretty evenly matched. AT bindings remain slightly more expensive, but not by much. There is an enormous used market for both AT and Tele due to all the must-have-the-latest gearheads out there, and the used market is the avenue I would take.

It's a tough call, but it's hard to deny the free hinge of AT gear for climbing and breaking trail, the security of a locked down heel on descent, and a reliable release system. There are releasable tele bindings. The nice thing about AT gear is you already know how to ski the gear. The gear just happens to be a little lighter and less supportive.

My guess is there will be some radical changes in the tele binding interface in the next few years. Already, bindings like the bishops and linkens are stretching the limit of what could be called telemark skiing. This should make a lot of today's tele gear really cheap! I wouldn't wait for it though.

If I was to recommend someone gear who wanted the fastest route to backcountry skiing who had alpine experience, I'd recommend some Fritschi Titanal 3 (or the older versions) bindings and a cheap alpine board. It doesn't matter which one, as long as it is remotely cheap, the bases are in good shape, and it doesn't weigh a ton. You will also need some skins, and poles that won't fold over easily.

There are a lot of cheap telemark setups for sale out there too, but it will take a little more commitment to get up to speed (but not too much more). Having someone experienced with you will go a long way, especially if they are patient. Telemarking has its own rewards.

Whatever you do, put most of your time and money into getting boots that fit well. It can be worth it to get boots fitted at a shop, if you have money for new boots (a significant purchase).

Hope that helps!

Buy a pair of AT Bindings. Mount them on AT/Downhill skis (whichever's affordable- for some manufacturers there's almost zero difference between the 2). Use your existing downhill boots. At a later date you can change over to AT boots quite easily.

BTW: Telemark is Norwegian for "Wait for me"

I was just in Second Ascent today. Several used setups with bindings on for AT and tele. There are some new unmounted models too, but as you might expect, not a systematic spectrum of styles and sizes. Looks like they sell new bindings too for stuff that weren't previously used. There was even a split board there. A bit better selection than I would have expected, but maybe it is that time of year.

if you want to save a few bucks, go with AT bindings/boots attached to downhill skis... main differences between them and AT skis is that downhill skiis are just a tad heavier, and they don't have that fancy hole in the front end for making the sled out of or whatever.

this really will be your best bet to save bucks and the skis really don't matter because you will learn to ski whatever you have. (really!) i use "downhill" skis in both my AT and tele setups because those are the skis i wanted. sometimes i wish i had lighter skis on my AT setup but i just ended up with some beefy fat skis whereas i could have just bought lighter (downhill or "other") skis. still beats carrying my alpine gear around!

if you want to save a few bucks, go with AT bindings/boots attached to downhill skis... main differences between them and AT skis is that downhill skiis are just a tad heavier, and they don't have that fancy hole in the front end for making the sled out of or whatever.

this really will be your best bet to save bucks and the skis really don't matter because you will learn to ski whatever you have. (really!) i use "downhill" skis in both my AT and tele setups because those are the skis i wanted. sometimes i wish i had lighter skis on my AT setup but i just ended up with some beefy fat skis whereas i could have just bought lighter (downhill or "other") skis. still beats carrying my alpine gear around!

I love shaped skiis...I used them this past year for the first time (took a couple of years off because of a blown acl) and they made all the difference. I've been skiing for 11 years (i didn't know it had been that long) and have never progressed to black diamonds. Those skiis and the control I had made me realize that I could totally do that now.

Thanks for all the advice everyone...

SB, I just started AT skiing after 30 or so seasons of lift-serviced DH skiing, and what I found is that my ability level in the BC is quite a bit lower than inbounds due to more obstacles and natural snow. Now I know that isn't the case for some, but bear in mind that it might happen to you. You might want to work on your chops inbounds too 'cuz you need every bit of ability you can muster out there in the wilds.