Climbing on Hwy 542

chris

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard that the Western Washington U Bookstore had copies of a book which included Baker Crags. There is a brief mention of it in Smoot's Climbing Washington. I made a brief visit there. The rock is a sort of volcanic conglomerate. I'm not sure I'm using the right terms, but parts of it, the Cobblestone Wall, for example look like some old pyroclastic flow that became cemented together. There was one 5.8 route I did, the easiest I could find, which had these hand sized rounded stones for holds.

Anyway, the climbing area is right off the uphill side of the highway at about Milepost 39, if I am not mistaken. The bouldering areas are up the road a bit from the sport climbing areas. I don't think there is any trad at all.

The climbing is ok when its dry. The cobblestone rock is pretty cool. I like how the wall is mossy and wet except for the holds. Nice bulge pull-overs. The other walls are cool too except for the falls loof scary.

Up the road a hundred yards or so you can hike up the talus and head leftish. There are some nice clean, but short sport routes of there also. The place is definatly worth a visit or two.