Ice Mitts/Gloves?

ChocChick

So, I have been using TNF ice mitts and I hate them. The problem is that I have really small hands (extra-small size), so I haven't had the best of luck finding a good glove system for ice. I do lead, so I want a outter mitt/glove with a liner. Most of the ice glove systems I find don't come in an extra small. What have you been using for ice gloves? Just want some recommendations, thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the marmot ice-moto gloves were awesome. Thin, padded, warm enough to lead in. They've been too expensive for me to own tho ($70 for probably 2 seasons worth of glove)

I like any thin glove with a leather palm. I find that climbing in thin gloves helps decrease the pump (less overgripping through thick gloves. I carry a warm thick pair of gloves on the harness for belaying and rappelling (also saves the lead gloves). MEC sometimes makes them. Also like the dish washer gloves (Vinyllove) with the polyester lining ($12 at the outdoor shop by REI).

Hey TUIB, I always have a couple pairs with me and never bother with brand names. I usually climb with a very thin pair, for the same reason Dave, decrease overgripping which will pump you out and make your hands cold. On cold days heat packs work well on the back of the hand to keep hands warm. Then I carry a heaier pair for approach, belays, and descent. I keep my gloves inside my jacket once I start wearing them for the day, so that they stay reasonably warm even when wet. As mitt, they suck, they'll keep your hands warm, but they are hard to climb in and place with.

So got an winter ice trip planned this year yet?

Oh yeah! Gonna be climbing ice in Utah, Colorado and Banff this year! Maybe Lillooet if I can swing it! I've been doing some dry tooling, and am planning a little playing on seracs, too. I LIVE for ice season!!!!

Thanks everyone for the glove recommendations. I usually end up using all different types of combos, so it would seem like I am in good company. Seems like the only times I really feel the numbing cold is when I climb in Banff. Anyways, I have had plenty of recommendations to check out OR, so I am going to take a looksy and see what I can find. I am just wondering if there is a "perfect" pair of gloves out there anyways????

Have a great weekend all! bigdrink.gif

Last year was one of my more successful seasons in regards to keeping my hands dry and warm.

Drytoolin'/mixed - Cloudveil Ice Floe gloves have been great. Because my hands seem to get cold in them around 20 degrees or so I supplement with hand warmers in a wrist pouch. I have found they do get wet pretty easily. Dexterity-wise and comfort they have been great. Im pretty sure they make 'em in xsmall

The other system which worked well for me last year was a thin (200wt) fleece mitten along with what I think are marmot waterproof overmitts (tho Im sure most brands would be sufficient). My hands stayed super dry and toasty all winter. A lot of the overmitts might slip around on the shaft of your tool, so make sure when you try them on you have access to swinging a tool in the air a few times.

I have a pair of Patagonia WHite Smoke gloves on hold right now which I have been waiting to find for about a year. I have high hopes they will be "the" warm, dexterious GLOVE. Again, they come in womens sizes.

Good luck.