climbing with two smaller diameter ropes?

AJScott

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ChcuK:

I bought one of those once - 100m bicolor 8.8mm mammut. I thought it was going to be just the thing for Alpine climbing. As it turned out, I never used it. Even when I went for some Canadian Rockies moderate ice faces, it just didn't seem to be the right rope for one reason or another and it pretty much always stayed behind in favor of more conventional ropes. I ended up cutting off some shorter lengths for various purposes and the most commonly used segment for me has been a piece about 30m that I have used for non-technical routes where I wanted to bring some cord just in case and for some desert hikes.

One definite drawback is the fact that you have much more to tangle so that when you want to make a real rope salad out of it, you can really go to town. Also, you can't split it between two packs, and it is much more of a nuisance when you start simulclimbing on barely technical terrain where you may want to shortrope it.