Arcteryx pants

mozy

Hello,

I am going to buy pants from arcteryx for my backpacking trip end september. So I decided I must go for a shell pant if it will rain, or the weather turns bad - so it will prapably the "beta ar" pants. But then I need a pair of some pants for the time the weather will still be good. I thought about the Gamma LT, and my question is if they give some insulation if the weather turns bad and I layer gamma lt/theta ar? Anyone with any experience of layering theese pants? Will it fot well if I layer the same size?

Thank you in andvance fr your answers.

Marek

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1? what? finish how

talls are an option on any pants the teryx makes. you can get an xs-tall or an xl-tall if you need it or you used to be able to anyways. the tall pants are just 2 inches or so longer for the same waist than the regular pant.

hmmm...

does anyone else value being able to zip pants on while wearing crampons? If not, why have zippers run up to your hip joint anyway? why not ankle zips?

Long zips for better venting. Zips that don't cover your hip so you don't get gauged when wearing a pack/harness. My goretex has long side zips that don't go over hips. Hasn't really been a problem. cantfocus.gif

thank's now understand the sizing....

but based on my waist, I am "M" (my waist=84cm), but inseam lenght is "Tall" for "L" (inseam= 84). The inseam for "Tall M" is 2 cm shorter (82cm), so I do not know - should I go for the M Talls, or for the L Talls - in the first case the panst could be 2 cm too short and in the second the waist will be too large (7cm larger). But I wonder if, when I go for the exactly fitting waist, will I still be able to layer the pant - won't it be to small then?

And please do not say- "go to your retailer and try it on" since here in Poland you don't have Arcteryx at all....

marek

mozy,

i seldom get into expressing opinions about gear and clothing, cuz so much of it is just personal opinion (not objective performance difference), but i'll make an exception here...

the Arc'terxy Gamma LT pants have got to be the finest climbing pants on the face of the planet. the Tweave fabric is way more real-world abrasion-resistent, puncture-proof, and snow- and water-repellent than any of the Schoeller options. i had water spewing over my leg on the pillar on red wall wanderers last winter, and arrived at the belay totally DRY - without gaiters! i fell off a log bushwacking out from the same waterfall and punched a snag-end into the back of my thigh, and did NO visible damage to the fabric. i've got lots of experience with Schoeller pants (various generations of MEC ferrata pants, plus North Face too), and the Gammas cut them dead in both situations. i was SHOCKED by the superiority.

i bought "talls" (2" longer inseams) so as to get lots of leg length, then installed a double-length loop of tent shock-cord and a cordlock thru the cuffs to cinch 'em down around my boot-tops. i haven't had gaiters on since.

[the one serious criticism i'd make of the pants is that for US$200/cdn$300, they ought to come with pre-installed cuff elastics! aside from that, i would not change a single detail on the design. the name, on the other hand...]

the fabric is not as "insulative" as any of the Schoeller options, which means u gotta pop on long johns when you might otherwise go without, but that same "thinness" keeps them cooler in warm weather.

some people don't like the relatively "hard hand" of the Tweave fabric (it has less "appeal" in the shop), but it softens up a bit with use and washing, and it's indicative of greater toughness, water-resistence, and snow-shedding.

you're making a GREAT choice...

(and, no, i do NOT work for the bird!)

oh, just a suggestion, but why not go for a CHEAP pair of shell pants (even just PU-coated waterproof, not breathable) - you probably won't be using them much.

cheers,

Edited by Don_Serl

I also have these pants (Gamma LT) and I will make one comment concerning fit:

The "rise" in the crotch seems very short to me. I wear a 30" waist in everything. I have the small/tall and I have to wear these lower on my hips than I typically wear pants because there would not be enough room in the crotch. I almost went with a medium/reg to get a slightly longer rise, but the waist would be 3" larger and leave me swimming in them and with baggy hips/ass, or trying to get alterations done.

Second Don's suggestion about a cheap pair of shell pants. I have a SUPER light shell set that is Campmor house brand coated nylon, and they have been great. Very light, and very cheap...like $20 for each piece. I lost the jacket somewhere, but it stood up to daily use and abuse just fine. Pants are still going strong, but the ankle openings are a tad small.

hmmm...

does anyone else value being able to zip pants on while wearing crampons? If not, why have zippers run up to your hip joint anyway? why not ankle zips?

FWIW, I haven't had too much of a problem putting pants on over crampons when the pant zips only go up to the hip. I have done it at hanging belays without even puncturing my pants! You have to be kind of careful with balance, it can be a bit tricky... You would never be able to do this with ankle length zips, furthermore, it is a pain to put pants on over plastic boots with ankle zips. Full sidezips are all but obsolete. I second that the hip length zips are far more comfy when carrying a pack. They are also way more comfy when you have to bivy with the pants on.