Summer OR show

marylou

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Osprey has Thermoformable hip belts as an option to some of their larger packs. I think that this could be a pretty big deal.

Omega Pacific has a new cam that spans a much larger range of sizes and has the capacity to deal with flaring cracks better than conventional existing camming devices. This was mentioned in an earlier thread on cc.com (followed by much derisive spray by folks that had never seen it).

More stuff in headlamps, like Petzl incorporating higher intensity LEDs. Others may have used these brighter LEDs also. Another company had like 24 LEDs spread across your forehead giving a much broader beam.

A totally see through foldable kayak, which would be cool to see the sea creatures below. It isn't really an expedition model, but accommodates 300 lbs of person-plus-gear.

any word on the modified quark w/ pinky rest?

I saw it, but didn't pay close enough attention as to the availability date. Supposedly they will also offer the part separately so you can retrofit your existing axe, after doing a little bit of shaving on the fairing near the spike.

I liked the Osprey hipbelts as well. The new women's sleeping pad from Cascade Designs is sure to be a hit with men and women alike, and to boot, it's pink!

Lots of stuff being made out of eVENT, more refinements to get weight down here and there. I didn't see a drinky bottle in the shape of Jessica Simpson but there was a nice Tiki Head one there.

Schwagwise I got an autographed poster from Timmy O'Neill to add to the bathroom collection, a really cute Cloudveil T-shirt, and the new Mountaineers Books/AAC history of mountaineering book, which is really nice. My favorite thing that I got (don't laugh) is the orange Nalgene bottle from Katadyn. I know, silly.

Rest of the goodies are more work-related.

Wish I'd had time to look at climbing gear, but I hadda stay focused on what I was there to look at and didn't have any extra time. cry.gif

It's a new stove for next year. Liquid fuel, no pump, no bottle, just put the fuel in the resivoir in the stove. It has a heat exchanger as well, and an integrated windscreen. Like the Jetboil canister stove, it has its own cookpot/cup dealo with the heat exchanger on the bottom.

It's pretty cool but they have a ways to go on it, it's still in prototype. They're also talking $170 retail, which is a bit rich for my blood, personally. The thing that replaces the fuel pump is emerging technology, and apparently that is part of why it's so expensive.

They also have some of the same thermal technology rolled into a new canister stove, but they were not demoing it.

And did I mention the pink sleeping pads? hahaha.gif

i thought the slickest thing at the show was Patagonia's new "Compound Seam System" glued-seam waterproof-breathable jacket collection (i hope i got the acronym right!), but then i'm way into clothing, not so much hardware.

no sewing, no taping - very clean, very light, very flexible. many people have been working on this "dream" for a long time, so all credit to the guccis for being out there first.

(on the other hand, when i questioned Mike Blenkarn and Tom Fayle, Arc'teryx's designers, why THEY weren't first, they offered the explanation that their testing of this construction showed that it's not very tough, and that with fabrics heavier than 15 or 20 denier, you'll likely experience seam failure. also, the requirements for accuracy are extreme, whereas sewing is pretty forgiving - therefore you're gonna get lots of rejects, so sewing remains cheaper. time will tell...)

in a similar vein, Mountain Hardware is showing both down and synthetic bags with glued seams/baffles on the outer shell. probably a worthwhile advance for waterproof-breathable outers; maybe no real advantage otherwise?

on the climbing gear side, i thought the whole collection of new Grivel crampons, axes, and screws was awesome.

Camalots have been redesigned, and look like they'll be superb.

there is more going on in headlamps than you can keep up with - next up, a Petzl that'll drive you home when you're drunk!

cheers,

It's a new stove for next year. Liquid fuel, no pump, no bottle, just put the fuel in the resivoir in the stove. It has a heat exchanger as well, and an integrated windscreen. Like the Jetboil canister stove, it has its own cookpot/cup dealo with the heat exchanger on the bottom.

It's pretty cool but they have a ways to go on it, it's still in prototype. They're also talking $170 retail, which is a bit rich for my blood, personally. The thing that replaces the fuel pump is emerging technology, and apparently that is part of why it's so expensive.

MSR is hoping that memories of just how crappy Svea stoves are/were have faded?

MSR is hoping that memories of just how crappy Svea stoves are/were have faded?

But Beck swears by them! They MUST be good! hahaha.gif