Good Seattle Road Rides?

assmonkey

Recently I came into possession of a road bike. Last night some friends took me on a ride around Mercer Island. Going clockwise, we hammered through some turns on the East side of the island, and it was fucking brilliant. The turns in that section are sweet: banked, tight, fast. I felt like I was a little kid again while jamming through there. I highly recommend the ride.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

My question for you: Where around Seattle are the other good road rides? Here's some criteria for what I would consider a "good road ride" feel free to disregard or modify (I'm new at road riding, so I'm still trying to learn what's up):

- low traffic

- start within 10 miles of downtown

- turns-tight, banked and fast

- hills-nice combo of up/down

- loop route (I like loops)

fruit.gif

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of my ride from downtown to NE Seattle has a nice loop. Start at Myrtle Edwards Park and continue on the trail thru the train yard, and then follow it as it makes a sharp left. Up the small hill and another left brings you on a big hill (1mi) leading up to Magnolia. The outside loop follows Magnolia with great views of the sound. Head thru Discovery Park, up to the church and down the closed road to the main entry road. You can hit 40 mph on the downhill here and if no one is at the 4 way stop you can keep it up. Just keep going straight down the hill and you will connect up again. I think this loop is on the Seattle Bicycle map. You can vary it by taking the wooden bridge over the tracks and down the back way thru the Locks, then do a loop thru upper Ballard and down the huge hill to Golden Gardens.

Try the Mercer loop counter clockwise, the turns are tighter and a lot more fun.

The South Washington Lake loop is nice.

The West Seattle ride out along the beach is flat and fast.

Golden Garden to Shoreline riding through the neighborhoods is a lot of fun. Tough brutal climbing, fast windy street, just got to be careful for kids and cars, cause it goes through residential neighborhoods.

The loop around Magnolia going counter clockwise is real fun too. Good climbing up to Discovery and real fast long downhill to canter Magnolia. Only the loop is too short. I usually do laps on it.

May Valley and Maple Valley have some good rides, and there is a backroad section in Maple Valley that kicks ass if you have some people to amp it up with.

I like riding out to Carnation and Snoqualmie from Redmond, good hill work, not many cars, very peaceful at times. The Nestle Horse area is incredible.

I have a 55 nile ride for ya. Best done on weekend mornings. North on BG or 35th ne to Lake City Way to park at north end of Lake Wash, south on Juanita to Holms Point, south on Janita to Kirkland, Lake Wash bvd to just north of 520 go up hill take 1st left cross 520 take 1st right, go strait at stop sign onto a short trail to a street, left on Evergreen Point rd, left at store, work your way south to Main st, right after the light, up and down steep hill, work your way south to I90 then do Mercer Island. Don't forget about the ferry to Vashon and Bambridge Islands.