Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome - $%!@^$&*!

Just got word - the tingling hands and sore elbows aren't climbing related at all but too much work (on a silly computer, much like this one). Evil I tell ya.

Anyone else have experience with UTS? How long did it take to fully recover and when can I start climbing hard again.

A week off ought to do it right? crazy.gif

::::::sigh::::::::::::::::

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ulnar tunnel sydrome I thought was more related to the ellbow than the wrist (but I could very likely be wrong) I'll ask this weekend at work.. I assume your symptoms are the last three fingers numbness and tingling?

Dr Doug Hanel at HMC is a good person to ask about this.

PM me.

Right you are IG, it is about your elbows - PM is on the way.

Nerve gets damaged near the elbow (in this case, too much leaning on my elbows while designing those systems for work) - but my hands are tingling/numb by the pinky and bottom of my hands. It's not a climbing injury - but I was just curious if any other climbers in here had experience with it.

Anyone?

I suffered with pain, tingling and numbness for over a year as my doctor sent me through PT and pain killers. Nothing helped.

On the other hand, ONE trip to an accupressurist erdicated the problem completely.

I highly recommend this as a therapy.

climbingirl- your forearm flexors common tendon runs right over ulnar nerve. you have too tight forearm flexors and too weak extensors. use ice masssage (freeze some water in a paper cup) on the inside of your elbow to decrease inflammation. also some cross fiber friction on this tendon would be good. a few years back there was a pretty good article in "climbing", i'll try to find it at some point. also stretch your forearms. remember- your flexors cross your elbow, so keep them straight. recommended Active Isolated Stretching by Aaron Mattes. there was a link to his web site somewhere on cc.

since your injury is caused by work not really by climbing, taking time off climbing will not do much for you. maybe file for L&I claim as a work related injury and take care of it now.

side note- i worked on 2 people who had surgery to free the nerve, there was zero improvement in both cases. as the matter of fact in both cases the long range outcome was very bad. ciao- r

Hey R:

Thanks for the info. - I got your PM too. The L&I paperwork has already been processed and I go to Physical Therapy in an hour. Will look up the exercises you recommend, and have already started friction therapy, ice and way too much advil. I've also been wearing wrist braces at work and to sleep - it's a nice look.

Of course I am also very psyched you didn't say "stop climbing" although my weekend plans fro Squamish have been squashed. Will try some easy stuff at the gym tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

B